Chapter 16

I think that I dreamt of Amber coming here to my condo. But when I woke up for Fajr, I acyually found her sleeping on a couch in the lounge. I slowly approached her and touched her cheek—she was cold as ice and her face looked so worn off. The wheaty shade had turned a shade darker, making her complexion look rather unpleasant. But I must admit, she always looked cute when she is sleeping and giving that witty mouth of hers a rest.

What's she doing here? She should've slept on the bed. Slowly but carefully, I passed one arm behind her shoulders and the other under her knees. Taking a deep breath, I slowly picked her up—oh boy, she's heavy. Her brows furrowed a little so I quickly laid her on the bed. I crouched down besides her as I stared at her face. Why are you here Bree?

I leaned in closer and planted a gentle kiss on her forehead. She smelled of sweet berries. I smiled but it immediately faded away when I remembered all that happened between us.

I quickly jumped to my feet and proceeded for prayer.

She continued to sleep throughout the day. I decided to leave and get some groceries after all there was nothing at the condo to cook with. O my way, I strolled around, trying to clear my mind. I don't know why she came.

Maybe she became worried; after all I left in such a hurry and without any explanation. But that seems highly unlikely. Or maybe she came to do something and knew I was also here and came to stay with me—or worse. My mind was lingering on that but I wouldn't dare acknowledge it. Even if she came here with that purpose in mind, what will I do then?

I'm so confused. I don't know what I should do.

I went back and still found her asleep. Soon it was noon and I decided t make lunch. She must've been really tired. After I made lunch, I went to checkup on her, she was beginning to stir. So prepared two cups of coffee. When I went back, she was sitting on the bed. "Good morning," I greeted. She flinched on seeing me. Abruptly, she jumped out of bed.

"What's wrong?" I inquired. She looked at me and wrapped her arms around herself. That's what you get when you suddenly decide to get out of a warm bed. "I slept in," she mumbled, her voice thick with sleep. I stared at her with a hollow look and nodded. "What do you expect after such a long flight? Of course you'd be tired." I commented, looking at her with concern—I mean, why must be risk her health all the time? Even at home she refused to get enough rest or sleep. I was glad that she slept in for a change.

After giving her coffee, I sat on the edge of the bed and gestured her to sit as well. "You know, you could've slept on the bed." I said. She drank. "I didn't realize that I fell asleep on the couch."

"You're lucky that I found you in time otherwise you would've frozen to death." I said dryly though I was really glad that I did. I glanced around the room; I also noticed in the rest of the condo, it was sparkling clean. So she spent the night cleaning up this place. I felt bad now. "And there wasn't any need for you to clean the condo." I said, gazing in her eyes. Her eyes were sincere, for the first time I didn't see any indifference there. "I felt like doing it." She mumbled. What is this? Why is she doing this? Now I felt irritated for some reason. Is she even trying to fulfill her obligation as a wife here?

"Anyways, I wanted to ask you, how are you? I everything okay?" she enquired. To say that I was surprised would be an understatement—I was beyond astonished as my brows jumped up. Is she seriously asking that? I was right about her motive? But wait, no, it cant be. She's a stubborn and hard headed woman. There's no way that she would ask that out concern. I was feeling angry now. Maybe she just wants to know whether I'll be coming back with her or not. After all, her use of me still hasn't finished. But how can she still be so selfish even now?