Chapter 31

I sighed and stepped in. It's only been three hours since I left the apartment to meet with Aaliya because I couldn't afford to be away for long even though she insisted that I stay for lunch. I carefully made it inside and the first thing I did was look for Amber.

She was lying in bed, still sleeping and I was glad that she hadn't woken up while I was gone. I had used these three hours wisely and fetched the groceries as well as paid the bills as well. I also needed to clean the house since I had dismissed the cleaning lady due to Amber's rehabilitation. I knew that Amber wouldn't be waking up anytime soon so quickly changed into my dirty clothes and began to do the long delayed household chores.

It was almost Zuhr time by the time I was finished and my back was aching like hell. Because of Amber's rehab, causing me to adopt an abnormal sleeping routine, I was always tired and my body ached. And I can't correct my routine because of Amber's sleeplessness.

I hoped under the warm cascading water of the shower and my mind went back to the conversation that I had with Aaliya this morning. Though she was able to inform me a lot on things I didn't know and needed to know in regard to Amber, but what even confused me more was the fate of Tooba. Of course I couldn't tell Aaliya that I had never met with Tooba so I discreetly changed the subject and decided to leave in time before she could insist on me staying for long otherwise she would've asked me questions that I didn't have any answers to.

That begs to ask, what happened to Tooba? Where is she? I didn't want to think of her circumstances before understanding them so I didn't guess any further. It's a question I need to ask Amber when she's in the clear. I quickly got out of the shower and dressed into fresh sweat pants and a plain white shirt. The dirty clothes reminded me that I also needed to do the laundry.

After my prayers, I was done with the laundry and decided to call it a day and take a nap. Lying down, I faced Amber who's back was facing me. I sighed and reached for her shoulder. I so desperately wanted to hold her but I knew that her feelings were channeling negatively against me because I made her suffer and unintentionally go through pain, so I had to be patient.

Sighed, I set my alarm for two hours and closed my eyes.

*************

"Yes sir,"

"And have the stats on the Donovan contract evaluated by next week. You'll have to come and give a presentation on it to the board of directors." Mr. Atish instructed.

"Alright I will sir, anything else?"

"No that is all." He said sternly and hung up. I sighed and put my cell phone away. Boy, I got a lot of work on my hands for this week.

Thankfully I had landed a job with MA investments as a financial consultant. Mr. Atish was kind enough to understand my situation so he allowed me to work from home and when I had finished my first assignment two weeks ago, the board of financial consultants as well as Mr. Atish were impressed.

I passed a hand through my hair and jumped to my feet. I made it to the balcony and found Amber sitting on a chair and basking in the sunlight, her brown hair glistening and skin pale yet healthy, having that beautiful tan that I love so much. Because she had lost so much weight, her bones were sticking out. Her plump and strong hands had become skinny as well as her face. There were huge bags under her eyes but I was glad that spark of life was back in her soft brown eyes.

And now those same eyes were viewing a journal in her hands as her eyes trailed in it.

"Hey," I greeted and sat on the chair next to hers. She ignored me and continued reading. I pursed my lips and nodded in understanding.