Chapter 30

I sighed and finally got out of the car as I headed towards the large gated house in Phase 6 DHA. Ringing the bell, I waited for someone to answer the intercom.

"Gee, aap kon hain? (Yes, who are you?)"Came the gruff voice of an old man. I cleared my throat. "Main Zakriya Islam hoon. Aaliya Faisal say milna hai. (I'm zakriya islam. I want to meet with Aaliya Faisal.)" I conjured up in the little bit of Urdu that I knew.

"Acha mai pooch kay btata hoon. (Okay let me ask and tell)"

I waited for a couple of minutes till the small door on the gate opened to reveal an old security guard. "Gee, Aaliya bibi andar bula rahi hain. (Aaliya madam is calling inside.)" he relayed. I nodded and entered.

The porch was very nicely made with cream colour marble tiles and potted plants. There were two Mercedes standing as well.

"Asalam Alaikum," I saw a woman greet me from the frame of the main door. I stopped dead in my tracks and scrutinised the woman standing in front of me. She looked like the younger version of Amber except for her skin being more fairer. Now that I think about it, Amber's mother was fair in complexion as I remember.

"You must be Zakriya bhai," she said. "Haleema aapi had called and told me that you wanted to see me."

I nodded.

"Please come inside," she invited wholeheartedly. She led me to a elegantly decorated living room where there was already a coffee table ready and laiden with all sorts of snacks. "Please make yourself comfortable, ill get the tea." She said and left. I had the urge to tell her that there wasn't any need for anything but she has already before I could say anything.

She was back within a few minutes with a tray of tea set in a beautiful white floral china bone set. "Please there wasn't any need for all this." I said modestly.

She smiled and placed the tea in front of me. "This is the first time I'm meeting my brother in law so of course there's a need for this." She said jocundly.

There was an awkward silence between us I sipped on my tea. I saw that Aaliya was staring at me. I smiled and placed my cup in the table. "What's the age difference between you and Amber?" I inquired.

"I'm four years younger then her," she answered, her brown eyes looked as if she was deep in thought.

"Do you live here with your husband?"

"Yes, as well as with my two children." She answered proudly. "Anyways, how's Amber? Why didn't she come as well?"

I sighed, my shoulders sagging. "Actually, that's why I'm here. I know that you find it odd that a complete stranger came to meet with you but the thing is that, I'm completely lost; I need your help." I said, my voice slightly breaking, my hand automatically going to my covered neck to rub the stinging feeling of the bite marks.

"Is everything alright?" She inquired.

"Can you please share with me about how Amber used to be when she was living with you and your parents." I asked. She looked at me in confusion as if asking this question was completely absurd especially coming from her own husband but what could I do, I couldn't possibly tell her that I was completely unaware of my own wife's past.

"It's no surprise that you're asking me about this," she said. So she was already aware. "Amber has always had trust issues and she doesn't let others know about herself unless she really wants to." She revealed.

True.

"I know because Amber was always close to me. We've always shared everything. Even in the five years of exile that she inflicted on herself, she kept in contact with me until three years ago when she stopped. Since then I have no idea how she's been. But i wasn't surprised when I got a call from Haleema aapi that Amber's husband wanted to meet with me. I knew that Amber would marry on her own accord because she was always rebellious." She relayed.