Chapter 9

Dinner with your parents went by well. As much of a surprise as that seemed to be when you realized it, it actually was true. The best thing was that they did not embarrass you all that much- your mother above all. Sometimes she was on the verge of saying some story about when you were a little kid and all the crazy things you did but you cut her off before she could say a single thing. After all you did not want to give Dean all the more information for him to hold against you.

But aside that, what was a pleasant surprise was how well your father and Dean went along. It was to be expected when as you looked at them interact you realized how your father seemed to be only an older version of his. Their mutual love for classic rock, cars and above all pie seemed to be what made them bond. It was a pleasant surprise seeing as your father rarely liked a guy this much, especially when said guy was with you. He would always find something wrong to not like on your previous boyfriends while with Dean he seemed to grately approve. He had never liked a guy as much as he seemed to like Dean, not even Hope's fiance whom the entire family liked to brag was a catch.

It made a smile spread on your lips and your heart soar in your chest at the sight of them laughing and chatting whilegrately enjoying the pie your mother had made.

"Really? Winchester is your father? John Winchester? That old dog! How is he?" your father asked full of surprise, a wide smile on his face.

Who would have ever thought that he and Dean's father were best buds in high school.

"Well he's pretty well. Just trying to hold himself sometimes" Dean chuckled.

"Uh well aren't we all"

"Certainly you dear" your mother told your father and he rolled his eyes.

"I'm not that old" he grumbled a little like a stubborn child as you all laughed a little at him.

Dean was quick to say something to make him feel better, just what he needed to and you just could not keep your smile off your lips.

Your felt your heart swell inside your chest as you watched them be so close almost acting as if father and son. You loved how your father even treated him as that, like he belonged in the family.

'But he doesn't.' you'd think bitterly to yourself.

Because it was true. Because Dean was not your boyfriend. Sure he pretended to be that in front of your parents, and they actually did like him for who he was - he was no pretending in that, it just came easily - but the truth was different. So much different than that. Dean was not your boyfriend. He was never going to be. He was your friend- only your friend that was helping you out in this, without having any feelings for you like you did for him.

"Peanuts?" the stupid nickname your father used for you, the one you'd grown to love, brought you out of your thoughts.

"Huh what?" your looked all around you.

"Are you ok?"

You took a second look around you to see all of them looking at you with worry in their eyes, and the second your eyes locked with Dean's you found yourself unable to look anywhere else. The true worry he had on his face, shown by the frown, made your heart flatter inside your chest. Making you believe for almost a second that this was real.

'It is not' you had to remind to yourself multiple times.

"Babe?" the word that left his lips made you want to cry from both happiness and emotional pain because you knew he was never going to say this word to you and mean it.

"Uh yeah, yeah I'm fine. Don't worry. Just got a little carried away thinking" you smiled curtly, your eyes snapping away from Dean. You did not dare to look at him.