Chapter Two || Bridgit meets An Old Friend

Ann

Okay, well this story starts in a little house, on a little street, in a little town. I, Ann Lowe woke up, groaned, rolled to the side and fell out of my bed.

"Ow." I manage as she looked up at the ceiling of my bedroom, which is painted a sky blue, paint peeling slightly in the corners of the ceiling.

I got up, got dressed in my Dorian High uniform, a white shirt, yellow and red striped tie, a knee length skirt with knee high white socks finished off with a canary yellow blazer. Ugly, right?

I grab my book bag, which holds finished algebra homework, hand sewn pencil case and a black leather drawing book. I tiptoe to grab a green floppy hat from the brass, vintage hook in the shoebox sized bedroom and thundered downstairs. I lunge at the wicker fruit bowl to grab an apple and with a shout "GOODBYE!", left the house.

I put on my hat, a green floppy one that droops down the front a bit too low. It was my grandmas, she died a few years ago. She was the world to me. She taught me how to draw, sew and told me and my younger brother Michael about all of her adventures well, everywhere! She was so cool. When Michael and I went to her funeral, he wanted to keep a charcoal rubbing of her gravestone!

"Just be quick!" I remember half shout half whispering to him, covering my face with the front of the green hat as he put the paper to the stone and started rubbing. He's seriously obsessed with dead people as on the afternoons that we do get to leave the house, he begs me to go to the cemetery. He brings a whole ream of paper and rubs the messages onto them. His favourite so far is:

Emily Bunting

5.8.1935 - 7.12.2010

I'm dead, so lets have a party!

I walk to school and pass by a girl with bushy blonde hair and earphones in her ears, the Mumford and Sons song booming to loudly. I look at her, questinging myself How can you stand to have your music that loud? Unfortunatley the girl catches my eye, eye brows raied high on her forehead as if saying What are you looking at? Embarassed, I brake from her stern gaze and shake my head while my mouse brown hair copies the shake as I stride on.

I walk into school, through the rusting iron gates and see my blonde friend, Alecia half listening to her twin brother, Jeremy as she reads a thin paperback. Alecia could pass as a blonde bimbo but she has an unhealthy obsession with reading, not unlike myself.

"Hullo!" I greet with a short hand wave.

Alecia says nothing.

"Whatcha reading?" I ask

Alecia ignores me, engrossed in her book.

Jeremy sighs, his eyebrows travel up his forehead and mine do the same in sympathy.

The bell goes after a long and awkward silence and the three of us each walk off to class, Alecia and Jeremy go to Biology and I to her locker then off to Chemistry.

Chemistry is a bore, I have already read what Mr Yarrow is teaching, which is apparently 'new' stuff. I put my hand up, eagerly as I have always done and answer the questions in which the middle-aged Mr Yarrow asks.

"Just shut up, Lowe." Liam Scott, the ring-leader of the trouble makers says to me as I answer, for the eighth time, one of Mr Yarrow questions.

I shoot an annoyed look to Liam, who was snickering with his friends.

"Insufferable know-it-all." He mutters obviously to me and I turn around, back to the board and copy down the formulae that Mr Yarrow has written. I listen intently to all that the mono-tone speaking Mr Yarrow is saying, noting (yet again) information about protons, neutrons, atoms and the periodic table.