Chapter Twenty Nine || James' Final Farewell

"I hated myself for going, why couldn't I be the kind of person who stays?"

Jonathan Safran Foer, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

Jack

To Dorian High, the news was still considered raw and everyone was talking about it. I clenched my jaw while every chattered about how James Kristenson had apparently 'died'.

I had planned to visit James during the summer but I never gotten around to it. My schedule that was handed to me about twenty minutes ago remains in my hand, slowly being crumpled and torn in my grasp.

I have Chemistry first on that day, James always loved Chemistry. I want to leave this place, every corner reminds me of James, what we had done when we were friends. I guess that the grudge was taken to the grave, almost.

The day dragged on forever and I almost always found my gaze set on the clock, watching and willing the second hand to tick faster. Finally, the day finished and I walked out of school and towards my Mum's car, which I parked in the school car park. I finally took and passed my driving test that let me be a free Canadian citizen after three shots at it. I am suddenly confronted by a slightly flustered, too excited Autumn.

"Jack! Do you wanna do something tonight? Movies? Dinner?" Autumn tugs on my polo t-shirt, looking up at me.

"Autumn," I sigh at Autumn in an annoyed tone. "I already told you, I can't do anything tonight because I organised a meet up with the boys."

"You never have time for me anymore!" Autumn gritted her teeth. "It's always you and the boys! Why don't I get a share in your social life?"

"What?" I knit my eyebrows together "But I already promised them! It's Games Night!" I sigh, shrugging.

"I asked you yesterday and the day before and the day before that! We haven't had a proper date in a long time Jack!" Autumn scratched her head as if consulting with herself on what to say next. "It's like you don't have time for me anymore!"

I sigh and roll my eyes "Don't make it about that now, Autumn! I'd like to have time alone sometimes! You can be a little clingy!"

"Me? Clingy?" Autumn's voice was full of spite "Let me remind you that you were the one that half-stalked me for a year before asking me out? Talk about clingy!" Her voice rose to a shout.

"Well it wasn't my fault that you had your head stuck in Julian's arse before he broke your heart, Autumn!" I found myself shouting "You sucked up to him just like every other girl did!"

"Look at you talking about sucking up! What about dearest Bridgit! As soon as she left, it seems you had to settle for second best! And remember, I don't want to be your second best!"

"Are we going to turn this into a fight now!?" I yell over her "You always find a way to make me seem like the player! Remember in 8th year!? Remember what happened?!"

"That was two years ago!"

Rage takes over and all I see is red "Two years and the loss of one of my best mates because I didn't know any better! I LOST JAMES BECAUSE OF YOU! DO YOU REALISE WHAT YOU HAVE DONE? I LOST JAMES AND THEN HE FREAKING COMMITTED SUICIDE BECAUSE OF YOU! DOES IT PROCESS WHAT YOU HAVE DONE?"

"DON'T MAKE ME SEEM LIKE THE BAD GUY! YOU KNOW YOU HAVE ALL THE GIRLS LINED UP AROUND THE BLOCK FOR YOU INCLUDING YOUR CINDERELLA, BRIDGIT! I'M USED AS A TOOL TO MAKE HER JEALOUS KNOW YOU THINK I'M THE PLAYER!" Her voice raises into a shriek "WELL FINE! NOW YOU'VE TURNED THIS INTO AN ARGUMENT!" Autumn heaved and her face turned bright red.