Chapter Twenty || Paris, the City of Hate... According to Bridgit

If you want to make peace with your enemy, you have to work with your enemy. Then he becomes your partner.

Nelson Mandela

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bridgit 

Two days after talking to Jack at the edge of the Seine River, I stand amongst a large group of students in the Louvre, all of who are staring at the Mona Lisa.

I still remember every exact word that was said that day:

"Hi." Jack says, not taking breaking his gaze from the water. "And for the record I did not imagine Bridgit and-" He looked up "-Oh holy. Okay I didn't..."

"Okaaaay." I bite my lip anxiously and look almost awkwardly in the opposite direction. "I'm going to leave now..."

"No!" Jack grabs my wrist and my eyes widen in fear. He lets go and I take a stance in a defensive position, readying my hands to push him into the river if necessary. "I'm sorry."

"So, I just want you to know that I am sorry."

"I forget about that and you forget about the time I asked you out in fourth year." I say, my feet shoulder width apart.

"Done." Jack smiles "but we are even now, no grudges given."

"I don't think so." I look at Jack, his green eyes reflecting the shimmering of the water. "There will always be a grudge given between us both."

"I don't want that-" Jack said in his smooth, sweet voice.

"I know."

"I want us to start over-" Jack's round, puppy-dog like eyes plead at my stern, steely face.

"I know." I say, my voice sharp yet blunt.

"I just really like you and have really liked you for the past ten years."

My heart felt lighter and my stomach felt like New York Zoo had been released into it. I stared at the Seine and put every bad thought and place it on the River water, watching it float away. These thoughts included throwing him into the River hanging him off the Eiffel Tower by his underwear all the way to kissing him.

I look at him, my jaw set. "I-" I stutter and then take a deep breath, closing my eyes.

"I know."

"You can't tell Autumn about it."

"I will." I threaten him. "Why do this to her? Give her false hope that she actually is in love and then throw it back in her face? Well done Scott." I sneer.

"Your metaphorical battle against Autumn has to stop!" Jack says.

"It just isn't like that. It just can't stop-" I start to use my arms as I speak "Just, after all this time..."

"Just fix something, stop playing strategic moves against each other and have a fight and resolve it like guys do!"

"Well then if you want us to finish this fight: Choose." I poke him in the chest "Your." I poke him again "Queen." I poke him a last time and turn on my heel to walk off but Jack grabs my wrist so I'm forced to stay put.

"I can't break Autumns heart, you know that."

"Then don't." I hiss at Jack.

"Bridgit." I feel at tap on my shoulder "Bridgit." I hear the voice more clearly now.