Chapter Nineteen || Private Newman disobeys the rules

“A walk about Paris will provide lessons in history, beauty, and in the point of Life.”

― Thomas Jefferson

Bridgit

All I could say about the night was one word. Mmmmmmmmmm.

Okay, maybe that was because I raided the mini fridge at two in the morning in the two room cabin or maybe it was the fact that I got the big squishy bed whilst Ivory got the hard bed even though she called shotties.

I take a nice big yawn and I stretch for the ceiling and I obviously don't touch it.

"Morning!" I say in a happy voice, still tasting the remnants of cheap Parisian chocolate in my mouth.

"Oh man, I hate this already." Ivory gets up, breathing sharply through her mouth. She closes her eyes and yawns loudly. "Where are we going today?" She licks her lips and stares blankly at me.

"Er..." I fumble to find the small itinerary pamphlet filled out and created by Photoshop expert, Lucas Castellan. "The Seine River and the Lock Bridge, well from 10 until 4 and then we get to go shopping until 6." I sigh and my eyes drift over to the clock and stare at it for a few lasting seconds.

As soon as I finally comprehend the time, I screamed. Yes, a high pitched frightened scream I would never be able to replicate again in my miserable life.

Ivory, her pale hair so graceful even after she just woke up questions my screaming "What are you-" and she let out a small yelp.

"Nine Thirty?" I screech and as if it were part of a script, I jumped out of the squishy bed. One problem, my foot got caught in the doona cover and dragged me down dangerously quickly to the ground. I swear, if it weren't for the carpet, I would've gotten a nasty gash on my chin. But if it weren't for the carpet, my chin wouldn't feel like it was on fire.

"Oh..." Ivory said and leapt gracefully over my body and landed perfectly still on the blood red carpet.

"I should be fine." I say and get up.

"Good, because I don't need to be late on my first day of being in Paris!" Ivory said as she fishes out a gorgeous sparkly silver tank and plain jeans from her pink suitcase. "I have the bathroom!" She called, walking in the direction of the small bathroom.

"Go for it." I say, my jaw still feeling like it is cemented to the ground. I sigh and get up off the ground and get dressed in what is hoped to be an acceptable outfit for the day.

"You look nice." Ivory says, causing me to whip around, looking at her, clothes neatly folded in her arms.

"You too." I smile and fish my toiletries bag out of my bag and head to the bathroom.

I avert my gaze from the mirror, and set out my toothbrush, dental floss and hair products in the two small drawers provided.

I finally look at myself in the mirror.

I haven't looked at myself in the mirror properly since I first arrived in Dorsborough. That was two months ago.

I study my face. My eyes are brighter, the dark circles under my eyes have faded and my face wasn't as blotchy. Going back to that damned place cured me. It cured me of the sadness that I had been living in for the past four years of my life. Not entirely.

Nothing had changed about what had happened before and after arriving in Dorsborough. I still had Max, I was eating whatever I was eating before, I had friends that where reasonably good people. What had changed?