Part 3

*River's PoV*

"Jamie!" Austin's mom screamed out as she ran out of the kitchen and flung herself at him, and his arms wrapped around her just as fast as hers had around him.

"Mom!" Austin yelled coming down the stairs in front of me. "Let him breathe, he's had a hard night." She glared at her son before letting go and taking a step back but returned her eyes to Jamie who was now smiling rather brightly. Austin finished his descent of the stairs and made his way towards Jamie. I watched as he wrapped his arm around Jamie's shoulder and Jamie's face found it's usual shade of red.

"Are you alright?" Austin asked him, he just nodded. Seeing the two of them together felt so weird now. All I had wanted for so long was for someone to look at me the way Austin would look at Jamie, and it was like, I had that now, and I was to scared to act on it.

"Tell me what happened!" His mom practically screeched as she pulled them into the living room and sat them down on the couch.

His mom had known about the whole werewolf situation for years now, and never really pried for information from what I had heard. I guess she was really chill about it, and just listened when Austin talked about it. I made my way over and sat in one of the chairs as his mom took another one and just sat staring at them with a huge smile plastered on her face.

"Well, we're engaged." Austin said as if he was talking about the weather as he pulled Jamie into his lap. His mom processed the information and jumped across the table to wrap her arms around them.

"Oh my god!" She screamed. "I'm so happy for you two. I've been waiting for this for so long! How did he tell you?" She asked pulling away.

Jamie looked down awkwardly. "Well," Austin started like he didn't wanna bring it up. "he kinda broke down in the middle of class, and I figured helping him then was more important than hearing him say it himself."

She nodded quickly still smiling. "You said you weren't sure about the whole marking thing," She started but before she could even finish what she was saying Austin had thrown his shirt off and sat Jamie down to stand up and turn around.

She gasped loudly and reached out to touch her sons back who was beaming with pride. "Jamie's takes up his whole back."

I could feel my wolf whimpering just looking at the mark on Austin's back. He wanted something like that. He had met his mate, and he's finally coming to terms with it all. I just wish the rest of me would.

"Can I see yours sweetie?" She asked Jamie. He looked kinda awkward but smiled anyway as he stood up and slowly discarded his own shirt. "Oh my god." she sounded so in awe as she reached out and brushed her fingers a crossed Jamie's mark.

I sat there and spaced out as Austin finished explaining everything that had happened over the last few days, and all I could think about was Jinx. He seemed so calm, like the fact he was mated to me hadn't even phased him. He had just wanted to talk. And I freaked out. He probably feels terrible right now.

He probably feels like I'm rejecting him honestly, I know I probably would. I wasn't though. I just wasn't sure how to react. I didn't even know this situation was possible. I had always told myself I didn't care who my mate was, I just cared that I had them. But as soon as our met, it was like I was put in a situation I hadn't even thought was possible.

He had just wanted to talk. He didn't even ask to be physically closer than we were, and my cousin with anxiety problems was the one who spoke up. I'm supposed to be an alpha. I couldn't even speak. I don't think I had ever felt this weak. I felt someone's hand on my knee and looked over to see Jamie staring at me while Austin was in deep conversation with his mom.

"It's gonna be okay." He told me. "We'll figure this out." I nodded softly. His words sounded so sincere and I wanted so badly to believe it, but I just couldn't. "Wanna go lay down?" I nodded again.

He leaned over and kissed Austin's cheek and Austin only stopped talking to his mom long enough to pull him back and kiss his lips. Jamie smiled softly as he turned back to me and motioned for me to follow. We walked back upstairs to Austin's room and I instantly fell to the airbed Austin had set up for me.

"It doesn't make sense." I groaned.

Jamie sat down at the foot of my bed and nodded. "I know it doesn't. But it is what it is. What are you gonna do?"

I just groaned again. I didn't know what I was gonna do. I didn't want to jump into it. I didn't wanna not have him in my life. I just didn't wanna be his mate though. But that's all I wanted. Nothing made sense, and my wolf was being 0 help.

"Why don't we bring him over tomorrow?" Jamie voiced. "It'll give you the night to think about it, and then you two can talk."

I thought about it for a second and knew it was probably a good idea. I just didn't know if I could handle it. "Will you stay in the room with us?" I finally asked lamely.

"Of course." there was no hesitation at all in his voice. As if he had been already planning on sticking around. I smiled over at him in thanks and he just nodded his head.

"What do you think about this whole thing?" I finally questioned.

He stayed quiet for a minute before finally opening his mouth. "I think it's odd. But I also think it's kinda cool. I've never heard of two alpha's mating, and who knows what the outcome could be. I think he'll make you happy. He didn't force himself on you or anything, and it's not like he couldn't have. He didn't call you out on stage or anything. I think you know he'll make you happy, and I think you need to relax a little."

I sighed and nodded knowing he was right. He just smiled before leaning over and throwing a blanket over me. "It's gonna work out River, you just need to give it a chance. Get some sleep buddy."

Austin walked in just as he was pulling away. His smile grew larger as he walked over and pulled Jamie onto the bed with him. I could feel my wolf whining more inside me. He wanted that. I tried my hardest to comfort him, but it was hard. I couldn't even comfort myself.

I had everything I could ever want, sitting back with the pack, and I couldn't bring myself to do anything about it. He had just wanted to talk. I couldn't even do that. Maybe it really was just the inital shock of it all. Maybe tomorrow would be better.

I could feel my wolf perking up at the thought and then settling back down. He doubted it. I doubted it. We doubted it. All I could think about was the way he looked at me while he was on stage. It was like he had just found his entire world. He might not have shown it in his face. But his eyes said it all.

Then he came outside, and he looked so worried about me. All I could do was shake as I got lost in my own thoughts. He had probably been expecting me to fall all over him, and I couldn't even stand up.

I now realized why Jamie was so hesitant when it came to Austin before. This shit was kinda scary. I didn't know what to do, and I just felt pathetic. Jamie's mate was a freaking human he thought was straight. Mine's a wolf. He feels the pull just the same as me. Yet I can't even talk to him. What even am I so afraid of?

The thought had my wolf growling one single word that sent chills up my spine.

Submitting.