Part 34

*River's PoV*

I watched my cousin burst into tears at the foot of the bed and it made my heart hurt. Everything seemed to be happening so fast, and there wasn't anything anyone could do about it. I kept thinking back to earlier today, before they came barging in. This time with Jinx had felt different from the very first kiss, and even till now. It was as if separating from him was going to kill me.

The room seemed to clear out pretty quickly leaving just us, a crying Jamie, and my dad who was trying his hardest to comfort him. "It's not that long James, and you'll get to visit."

Jamie nodded softly. "It's gonna feel like forever though, and the visits are gonna feel like seconds." He sniffled lightly. "I think I'm just gonna go home and, just try to sleep or something." He didn't wait for anyone to respond before getting up and leaving. My dad sighed to himself as he shook his head obviously unhappy over the fact his nephew was unhappy.

"He'll do fine dad," I started, "he only thinks it's the end of the world." He nodded and went to stand up until I spoke again. "Wait, dad, there's something we need to talk about."

He rose an eyebrow and waited for me to explain. "We need to figure out when me and Jinx are gonna take over the pack." As soon as the words were out of my mouth he was nodding.

"I knew we were gonna be having this talk soon, and I'm gonna tell you what it is I think you should do. I think you should wait until you know you're ready. This isn't an easy job, but it's very rewarding. I'm also going to tell you that it'd be a good idea if you waited till you graduated because you're not dropping out and juggling the two isn't fun."

I nodded softly. "That's what we were thinking anyway, I just wanted to make sure that was okay with you, I know how much you miss mom." He smiled softly but just nodded. "Which is another thing dad," I started as I glanced at Jinx. "we were talking and we wanna make a lot of changes."

He held his hand up to stop me. "I don't need to know what they are just yet son. I'll know when the time is right. Nothing you wanna do is even gonna be put into motion for almost a year, there's no need for me to get worked up over anything I might not like just yet." With that he stood up. "You'll do great. I know this probably goes without saying, but we're gonna be having a meeting tonight." we both nodded and then he was gone leaving me and Jinx alone.

"We didn't do anything wrong." He mumbled as if he could sense the guilt that filled my gut. "We didn't know it was a thing, and if it hadn't happened this time it would have happened eventually."

I wanted so badly to take his words and believe them, but it didn't help anything. "But we could have held off till Austin could handle it."

He shook his head softly. "He's not progressing as fast as he should, and I don't think I would have been able to keep my hands off of you long enough for him to be where he needed to be."

I knew he was probably right, but it didn't stop the image of the look on Jamie's face as Keyon spoke. He looked terrified as if he was watching the sky break apart and his whole world bending. I couldn't even picture Jinx leaving a mile radius of me for even a second. Jamie basically couldn't function without Austin, and he'd be gone for maybe months. Even though it wasn't directly our faults, it was still our faults indirectly.

"Is Jamie gonna see it that way?" I whispered softly.

Jinx stayed silent for a moment before kissing the top of my head. "I know you're worried about him being upset with you, with us, with this, but you need to understand that it's not our fault. He might not even blame us. But if he does the worst that's gonna happen is he might not talk to us for a bit, but as soon as Austin comes home he'll realize he was wrong."

I didn't want to think about Jamie being mad at me at all though. Him not talking to me would probably kill me. We used to be inseparable, and sure we grew apart a little, but that didn't stop me from looking at him as my best friend. Nothing was ever going to change that for me, now all I could do was hope that Jamie felt the same way. Part of me wanted to go talk to him now, but I knew that wasn't the best option, he was too emotional, and probably already back with Austin.

I wasn't about to take up what little time they had left together to apologize for doing something I didn't even know I was doing. The most I could do for now was hope for the best and try to talk to him when Austin left tomorrow morning, or maybe try at the meeting tonight. Would they even be at the meeting though? They already knew everything that was gonna be said, and Keyon had said it'd be bad for Austin to be around everyone right now.

Whatever happened though, whether or not I got the raw end of the deal, Jinx would be with me every single step of the way. Jinx. I had been so scared, and now we were laying here naked together. I had my mate, and he had his. I knew we could handle anything that came our way. We were in this together. The thought made me smile.

"I love you Jinx."

"I love you too River."

*********A/N- Alright just a quick little wrap, I was gonna wait and post it tomorrow, but I also just want this one done with. Hope you guys enjoyed it. Corey's story is up next, and I should be starting if not tomorrow the day after, and hopefully I won't be taking any more breaks.********