8. For Future References

I am startled awake by my alarm.

Ugh...

...

Why?

Slowly and zombie like, I pull myself out of bed and begin to get ready for work. At first I debate with myself if whether or not I want to go to work, but I decide that it'd be best if I kept my job. My drowsiness from my small amount of sleep makes me easily agitated, so I try not to snap on my way to work, since I take public transportation.

The first thing I do when I get to my office is sit at my desk and lay my head down, hoping to get at least 30 minutes of sleep, but that's ruined. Can you guess why that is...? You got it!

Jondin walks in.

But today it's different. Looking like he just arrived at work himself, he carries his usual work bag plus a bouquet of roses in his hand. I groan. Why won't he leave me alone?

"What do you want?" I ask him.

He walks over and says. "I'm sorry about last night. But sorry isn't enough, so..."

I lay my head back down. "I don't want your flowers, Jondin."

Jondin doesn't respond for a long second, then says, "Look, I didn't mean to-"

I look back up at him. "I told you to go have fun and that's what you did. I'm not mad at you for that. I'm glad that you found someone else to satisfy your needs."

"Yvette, it was nothing like that-"

I roll my eyes. "Jondin, can you please leave? I'm to tired for this right now."

Seeming a little bothered, Jondin placed the bouquet on my desk and left me alone for the rest of the day. I did feel a sharp pang of guilt for the way I treated him, for I don't like to be that way, but there's no turning back now.

Anyway, the day carried on normally, and I was able to get home without being bothered and slept just fine. So when I woke up to a fresh day, and I was happy to remember that I had the day off, which meant more sleep.

Or not, I think as my phone goes off.

🅰

I walk through the brightened up halls -filled with high IQ'd people and various gadgets- next to Nick Fury. For the first few weeks my position in SHIELD was undecided, but then Fury assigned me to the strike team.

"Well thanks, I guess," I say.

"Just try not to get ahead of yourself," Fury tells me, walking away.

Trust me, I won't.

After that little chat with Fury, Rumlow (who is probably my new personal escort) drove me home. As it turns out, he's doing it by choice (which makes more sense, since I'm pretty sure he has higher obligations in life than getting me home). What I finally accomplished during the ride was getting him to have an open conversation with me. Since SHIELD employees don't really chat it would seem, I put it on my bucket list of difficult things to do.

I got him to answer a few questions, wondering if he has a life outside of his work. I listened carefully as he answered each question. I find it interesting how someone who doesn't talk very much can give a detailed answer with very few words.

Like me, there's not much excitement in his life outside of his job, but at least I know he's human. So in return, I answered some simple questions as well. I don't know how long the conversation was or why I even started one, but I know that we've been sitting in this hunk of the future for a while, and the fact that someone was standing at my door had finally caught up to me.

I thank Rumlow once more and exit his car. I wait for him to drive away before heading to my door. As I start to walk, a scraping sound follows. I lift up my right foot and remove a piece of scrap paper from my shoe and decide to look at it for a split second.

On it is an red outlined circle with a black background. In the foreground is a blood red symbol of some kind, with a skull that has eight snake like legs spewing out from the bottom of it geometrically.

Eh.

I toss it aside and continue pursuing no one other than Jondin. "What are you doing at my door?" I ask him. "And don't you have work today?"

Jondin almost jumps at the sound of my voice and spins around to look at me. "No, I'm off today too. I still feel bad, so I-"

I interrupt him. "Why are you always bothering me?"

"Because I don't know how to leave you alone," he affirms. "I'm a man on a mission, remember?"

Out of all my past experiences, I would never fall for such crap. I cross my arms and snicker at him, not believing that he'd accomplish his impossible mission. Jondin then comes down from the steps and over to me, standing at an uncomfortable distance.

I never really knew how tall he was until now.

"Give me another chance," he begins. "Trust me, I'm not a whore. Can I take you out again to someplace quieter? A nice restaurant-"

Jondin's closeness begins to get distracting, causing me to step away from him. "I'm sorry Jondin, but I just can't, I..." I trail off, not knowing what to tell him. I don't want to like you, I answer mentally. If he gets to close, he'll fear me.

It's more like, I don't want to hurt you.

"I'll see you later," I say, walking past him and into my complex.

🅰