Fox 15

Alistair sat on Levi's lap as the smaller mage whisper read another passage from the book he was holding. Levi's head kept falling backwards, hitting the shelf behind him as he fought to stay awake. Every so often he would wake back up with a start and simply agree with Alistair causing the two of us to simply chuckle in amusement.

"So anything on this magical council?" I questioned.

"Plenty." Alistair replied.

"Anything useful, smarty pants." I smiled. He smirked back at me without even looking up before he sat the book he was currently reading down. He rifled through the stack of different sized books besides him and finally pulled out a small black book with nothing but a red crown on the cover.

"What's that?" I inquired.

"It's the history of the Council of Mages." He answered.

"The Magical Council?" I questioned.

"Not exactly. The Magical Council is comprised of all sorts of magical beings from different realms including the mortal realm. The Council of Mages was the only governing force for Mages in olden times. They didn't answer to anyone and were never held accountable for their actions until the war began. Within the Peace Treaty brokered between the warring Magical Kingdoms there was a clause that there would be a council comprised of a representative from each magical community regardless of the size or relevance." 

"So all those people that were on stage today were from different Magical Communities?" Levi finally joined the conversation.

"I'm not entirely sure. It's completely possible that acting under the guidance and the watchful eye of the Magical Council there is still a Council of Mages that govern their own community, much like a mayor would for it's own town. They still would have to answer to their Superiors but they are in complete control of their own groups. The same could be happening with any of the magical creatures that we encounter." He explained.

"So instead of really getting answers we've become even more confused than before." I sighed.

"Pretty much." He huffed in annoyance, crossing his arms over his chest. Levi leaned his chin on the top of his head and made faces at me as Alistair tried in vain to get him to move.

"I think I know where we can get some more answers but we'd have to be really careful about how we do it." I whispered as I looked around the library suspiciously.

"Huh? Where are we going to get these answers?" Alistair questioned as he flipped another page.

'Merula.' I replied over our link causing Levi to look over at me in shock and Alistair to scrunch up his eyebrows in confusion.

"Is that safe?" Levi questioned as he nuzzled his face in Alistair's hair.

"She's fine to talk to. If she wanted us dead than she would have done it a long time ago. She had more than one opportunity to do so." I replied.

"Well how do we-" Alistair began.

"Alright boys. Time to call it a night. Your curfew is about to start in thirty minutes and I have to shut down the library for the night." The sweet old lady that looked after the library called to us from an aisle or two over. "If you'd like to take any of those books with you bring them up with you." 

Alistair grabbed the black book with the red crown on the front and a few more and crawled out of Levi's lap. The red head stretched his arms out and rotated his neck in a circle before he actually got up off the floor. By that time the two of us were already half way to the desk where the librarian sat.