Fox 16

"So this is them?" Merula questioned as she stared at Levi and Alistair who were standing behind me. True to her word as soon as we stepped foot inside the clearing we were met by the strange couple. The air around us was charged with some sort of magic and I could remember feeling it the last time I came to see them.

"Yes, this is Alistair and that is Levi." I introduced them each. She took a few steps closer to get a better look at them causing Alistair to squeak and Levi to pull him close into his side with a little snarl. It was clear they were afraid and I couldn't blame them. The last time they met the pair Levi was injured.

"I like them already." She grinned. "And sorry about attacking before. I wasn't sure who you were before but now I can see that you're important to Tae. So we won't attack anymore."

"That's fine." Levi replied sounding genuine enough.

"No it's not. We shouldn't have been so rash. To make up for it how about we answer any and all of your questions."

"That would be great." I replied as she plopped down on the ground, her black dress spreading out around her. Her hood was still up and covering a great part of her face as she motioned for us to sit before her as well. As I sat down a few feet in front of her I scanned the area, I didn't see the bird anywhere but I knew he couldn't be too far away.

Alistair was partially dragged towards us by Levi, who sat down beside me pulling Alistair into his lap. He wrapped his arms around the young mage who relaxed back into his chest. They were cute together it was obvious and for a moment I caught myself dreaming of something that I knew would never happen.

Levi reached down and rested just his pinky over my own and when I looked up at him he refused to look back down at me. I had to bite my tongue to keep from smiling too hard at his actions. My heartbeat thudded in my ears at the gentle touch.

"How sweet..." Merula cooed.

"Wha-" I was about to question when she cut me off again.

"Listen Pet, you don't have much time out here. Let's get this thing going. So who's first?"

"I have a question." Alistair whispered.

"Go on..."

"Was Helion a bad guy?" He asked.

"No. He was the best mage a familiar could have." She replied sadly.

"Is he dead?" Levi questioned.

"Hmmm...." She hummed looking up into the sky before looking back down, directly at Alistair. "I think he can better answer that question for you." She smirked. "But later, I'm sure we have much to discuss."

"How did you know?" Alistair squeaked in surprise. Clearly whatever he was hiding from us had to be about Helion and I had a feeling that after this talk with Merula we would finally have to discuss what it was that he was keeping from us.

"I don't like that question." She sighed. "Another one."

Alistair sat back against Levi's chest once more, pouting. I did mention to them that she might not answer every single question but that the answers we got were going to be useful. I guess he was just realizing that I wasn't kidding. I stifled a laugh as I watched him pout even more as Merula twirled a strand of jet black hair around her finger.

"Why does everyone think you two are dangerous?" Levi questioned, sounding like his more serious self.

"Why, that's because we are, dear fox. We are quite dangerous but not to everyone. We're only here for Tae, we're not here to cause any trouble." She explained.