Chapter 4

So, This one is a pretty long chapter... for me at least. I'm so glad; standardized testing is FINALLY over!!! Do you guys think you did well? Anyway, I hope you enjoy! *rawr*

"I would hope not, that would mean that I'm dead too. Are you okay?" said a voice above me. I opened my eyes, I could see a hand being offered. I took it and the trainer helped me up. The person attached to the hand was much taller than me, but he seemed about my age. He had spikey blonde hair, bright golden eyes, and was wearing the typical rival outfit.

"Yeah," I said "thanks." I looked around, the beedrills were on the ground behind me. "How did you beat them? No offense or anything, but they're fully evolved..." I said trailing off.

"And Bulbsaur and I here, we're pretty weak, right?" he said. I nodded sheepishly. "Well, as you probably know, bug type pokemon evolve quickly. They weren't actually that strong. You should have been able to beat them. What's wrong?"

"Er, well, I-I don't really have a pokemon." I said, embarrassed.

"You don't? Then why did you come out here? Everyone in town knows not to go into the forest. Wait, you're the kid, y/n, who just moved here aren't you? Here follow me. I'm Adam, the Prof's son." he explained.

Out of the forest and back into town, his bulbasaur happily following behind him. "So where are you from?" he asked. I panicked, I couldn't tell him where I was really from, he'd think I was crazy! So I said the first thing that came to mind. "Um, Johto actually." "Oh! I've heard of the Johto region, although I've never been there. Is it similar to here?" The Johto region is from the Heart gold and Soul silver games which are much older than these. "Yes, but they're much less advanced."

Thankfully, before he asked more questions I couldn't answer, we arrived. "Here, I'll go inside with you." He said. "Bulbasaur, return!" he looked at my confused expression and said, "It's not that Pops doesn't like pokemon in the lab, Bulbsaur is just too curious for his own good." He smiled. I can tell that he really loves his pokemon.

We walked inside, Adam started talking to one of the scientists. "Hey, apparently my dad's out in the route. It should be nearby. There's a sign, you'll find it. I've got to do some work here for him so I'll see you later okay?"

"Alright," I said "sounds easy enough! Bye!"

I saw the sign almost immediately:

    ROUTE 1 ->

I followed the sign and soon found myself near some tall grass. If I wasn't careful, a pokemon might attack me again. "Professor? Are you here?" I called out, trying not to be as loud as to attract wild pokemon.

"Ah! Y/N? Is that you? I'm over here." I followed the sound of his voice until I found a small clearing.

A man in a lab coat was sitting down writing something in a notebook in the middle of the clearing. The was a bag which he had set on the bag near him. This is the guy from the intro! I thought. "You must be y/n." He said.

"That's me!"

"Well y/n, today you will be getting your very first pokemon. I know I told your mom there would be three choices, but..." he started, looking nervous, but before he could say anything else I interrupted him, "Please sir! I would like to have charmander!"

He chuckled. "I don't remember telling your mother the names of the pokemon. Well, you're in luck, charmander is the last one available."

That's weird. I know Adam already had one of the starters but I assumed that was because he would be the rival figure. Who has squirtle? Suddenly, a shinx jumped out of the wild grass, growling. "Hurry! Grab Charmander's pokeball from my bag!" I rolled my eyes, it was funny how similar all the pokemon games are. I found the pokeball, but hesitated. I had never battled like this before.

Well, here goes nothing. "Charmander I choose you!" I said, taking the quote from the anime. It worked, in a flash, one of my favorite pokemon was in front of me, but I didn't have any time to get too excited. I tried raising my right hand, hoping for an attack screen.

Nothing happened. Shoot, the shinx was right in front of me. They are supposed to be easy, but it's difficult when you don't know what you're doing. "Um, Charmander, attack!" I tried. Charmander looked back at me nervously, as if he didn't know what he was doing either, but it worked. He scratched the little shinx right in the face. I whooped in joy. "Good job Charmander! Now, do that again!"

A couple attacks later, the shinx was defeated. "You did it!" I exclaimed to Charmander. He made a cute growling noise and nuzzled my leg.

"You two seem to get along very well together." I had forgotten the Professor was here.

"Y-You think so?" I asked him.

"Yes I do. Enough to make me feel like I can trust you with this." He handed me a sleek red box with a pokeball on it. "It's a pokedex. It can record the pokemon you meet and show you their level, it is very useful in battle.

"Here, try it out on charmander." I opened the pokedex and saw the battle screen.

"It shows his attacks," I commented.

"Oh yes, is does that too." I could see his HP bar and his level, which is now six after defeating the shinx.

"This is amazing," I said, awed.

"I've spent my life working on it, so I would hope so," he said. "Let's go back in town. I would like to introduce you to my grandson."

"You mean Adam? We already met. He saved me from some beedrills earlier," I explained as we walked.

"Saved you from beedrills? How did you get into such a dangerous situation?" he asked.

"Oh, I had just gone out into the woods to think is all."

Soon, we were back. "I was hoping... That pokedex I gave you, I would like you to fill it up. Would you like to go on an adventure?" he asked me.

"Of course!" I exclaimed. "But first, I must tell my mother."

"Of course," said the professor. "Come back to my lab after you've done that, I would like to give you something that will help you on your journey." I headed back to my house, nervous and excited at the same time.

As I approached the front steps, I heard my mother talking. "... Uh-huh! I see. Okay, thank you!"

I walked in. "Oh, y/n dear, I just got off the phone with professor Oak. He said you are going on an adventure with your pokemon! Can I see him?" My mother asked excitedly. "I always wanted to go on an adventure when I was young."

"Sure," I said, and released Charmander from his pokemon. His blue eyes stared into my e/c in confusion as my "mother" tackled him in a hug.

"He's so cute!" she said, fawning over him. He smiled at her and made his weird growling noise. "Adorable!" She was so distracted, that I could have left and she wouldn't have noticed for a long time.

"Hey mom? So about that adventure," I said.

"Oh go ahead! Just don't forget to call me!" she said.

"Okay then. Bye." And I left, Charmander following behind me.

"Bye sweetie, have fun!" she called after me.

I walked back to the professor's lab. I saw him in the back talking to Adam. "Um, you wanted to see me?" I asked him once they had finished talking. "y/n! Yes, I did. I have some potions for you. Potions are able to heal 20 health. I thought these might be useful since you will be having a lot of encounters with pokemon." The professor said. "Thank you!" I exclaimed. These definitely would be useful; I had some training to do.

A/N: How do you like it?? I'm sorry, but charmander is one of my all time favorite pokemon, so I had to make it y/n's starter. I'm thinking about adding another character in so, if you want, you can leave a comment that gives me their name, favorite color, personality, looks, etc. and I might end up choosing them to be in the book! However, I *whispers* kinda just want to add might self in... So tell me what you think!! Thanks for reading! *rawr*