Chapter 14

I froze. They had taken over Pewter?! Well that explained why Brock was in Viridian... but how?

"Aw, Is the little kitty scared?" He grinned. "Don't call me a kitty," I growled. I like cats, but them saying it made me sound weak. "Uh, Jack? Can we go ahead and steal her pokemon now?" A short Grunt with red hair said, pulling on the sleeve of his jacket.

"Ah, right," 'Jack' said never breaking his stare-off with my e/c ones. He jerked his head back at the other grunt behind him who, might I add, was really tall and quite intimidating. "Now little kitty," Jack said "We can do this the easy way, or the hard way."

The tall guy grabbed my neck with his hands and started choking me. It was time. "Now..." I managed to whisper while being choked. Charmeleon used bite, and bit clean through the sticky string holding us up. I fell to the ground, breathing hard.

"Ember." He took out the poor little caterpie that they had used to tie us up. "Cat...er...pie," It whimpered, but the three grunts ignored it. "What are you doing?!" I cried out, really annoyed with them now. "Heal it! Return it to its pokeball! Do something!"

The short grunt sneered at me. "It's kill or be killed out here, kitty. And you're the one who hurt it." I panicked. If they didn't return it to its pokeball soon, it would die. "Well then give me its pokeball!" I said. "And why should we do that?"

"So that it at least doesn't die!" Giving it a potion wouldn't be enough, it was burned. It needed to be in its pokeball to at least temporarily stop its health from lowering anymore. The grunts looked at each other and shrugged.

"Fine. But you realize that we're just going to steal it back when we beat you." They tossed me a normal pokeball and I pressed the button on the center of it to return it's resident. I sighed in relief. They were never this bad in the games.

Then, the lower grunts each grabbed the pokeballs hanging off their belts. The short one only had one, his other was now with me. Three pokemon appeared in front me: a gastly, a houndour, and another gastly.

The pokemon themselves weren't too strong, they were all level 12, but three against one put me at a disadvantage. "Smoke Screen," I told Charmander. He nodded, he knew what to do from here.

Soon I heard a couple curses that I won't repeat, and two of the three pokemon had fainted, according to my pokedex. Now, there was only one gastly left. Charmander appeared out of the fog and stared at me, waiting for directions. "Keep the smoke screen thick. Use dragon rage a couple times from afar, but change your position each time you use it. If they come in close for a physical attack, use your fire type moves. Normal type moves don't work on Ghost-types." He nodded again and was off. When the smoke cleared, the battle was over.

"Man, I really didn't think you could beat them with only your charmeleon. You must be quite the strategist. Let's see what you can do against these guys," Jack said and sent out two pokemon with a burst of light. When the light faded, I could see a level 28 haunter and... My worst enemy, a beedrill.

I shuddered at the sight of the bug pokemon in front of me, its glowing red eyes glaring into my own e/c ones. "Aw, is Kitten afraid of the tiny winy beedrill?" Jack smirked. "Beedrill, use pursuit."

Charmeleon, kept looking at me, waiting for a command, but I was frozen in fear. I don't hate many things, but beedrills are one of them after that horrible experience when I first arrived in the game. Suddenly, the beedrill appeared behind charmeleon, giving him a hard blow to the head with the side of one of his stingers. The sight of Charmeleon in pain brought me back to my senses.

"Charmeleon, quick attack, then fire fang on beedrill!" I yelled. I hoped I could take the beedrill out in one hit, because it still scared me a bit. Just as Charmeleon was nearing his target, I realized my mistake.

I hadn't paid attention to Haunter.