Chapter 17

I stumbled through the forest, avoiding random rocks and fallen trees. Before I knew I was lost. Despite everything, I wasn't sad, I wasn't scared, I was mad. Mad at "Team Rage" for trying to steal my friends and kind of mad at myself for feeling so helpless.

I looked around the forest a bit, looking for anything I recognized, any lights gleaming between the trees, but I couldn't see anything. I sighed and looked up, looking for the sun to lead me, maybe. Instead, trees blocked the sky from my sight. That's right, I thought, trees.

I made sure that my backpack was on tight and grabbed a branch on the nearest tree. I climbed up, sometimes having to jump from tree to tree when there weren't enough branches. Finally, I reached the top.

The view above the tree line was beautiful; I could see everything, even a little town in the distance. Pewter.

I grinned, going back to the thicker branches where I could comfortably wait for my pokemon to heal.

That was another difference between this world and the video games; the pokemon, unless burned, paralyzed, etc., slowly recover in their pokeballs. They regain their energy and heal a bit. Soon Charmeleon had some more health and I released both of my pokemon from their pokeballs.

"Hey guys, are you okay?" I asked them. They mumbled their names in hesitant agreement. Charmeleon still seemed pretty beat up, but he was better than before. He gave me a weak smile that made me a feel a little better.

I smiled back and rubbed his head. Splashy was a little confused, so I explained to her what happened. I felt bad, because I could tell she wanted to help.

Suddenly, we heard a loud thud. And another. Add another, like footsteps. I climbed down from the tree with Charmeleon, carrying Splashy too. I looked around and saw the largest pokemon that I had ever seen.

~~~

I cheered as the pokeball closed with a mighty click. It had been a long, hard, and confusing battle, but I had finally caught the third member to join our team. Charmeleon was huffing and puffing and so was Splashy too; she had been a great distraction.

"Are you okay, y/n?" asked a familiar voice from behind me. I stiffened. How does he know my name? "What do you want Ghost?"

He chuckled. "Aren't you going to thank me? I mean, I did save your life back there," he said casually.

"Fine, thank you," I said. "Now, please stop bothering me."

"Alright. I just wanted to come check out the pokemon that made all that noise, but I guess you have it under control."

I smiled genuinely. "Yes, I do." I watched as he walked over to charmeleon, who let him rub his head. Charmeleon never lets strangers touch him, even strangers who save his life.

"Your pokemon are so nice," Ghost said quietly. That's when it all clicked. Only one person had ever said that to me.

"Meg, what are you doing here?"

Ghost froze, and then laughed awkwardly. "I was wondering when you would figure it out." She grabbed the slip of cloth of her face and took the black hood off her head revealing her dark brown hair. I should have noticed earlier.

"You must be wondering how I changed my voice," she said, and I nodded. She held up the black cloth that used to be covering her face. "This has a little device I made in it that changes my voice. Villains wouldn't be as scared of a 15-year-old girl, would they."

"Can I see your pokemon?" I asked. "Sure!" she exclaimed and grabbed the five pokeballs from her belt. One by one she released her pokemon. First, was ponyta, who I already recognized. Then she released a pidgeotto, a vaporeon, a swablu, and finally, a little pikachu.

"Is that the one you used in battle?" I asked her, pointing at Pikachu.

"Yeah it is! I usually have Pika cover himself in electricity so no one who battles me can make the connection that I'm ghost. Pika was a present from my dad for my birthday last year." She smiled fondly at the memory.

I stared at her for a second. This girl knew what she was doing, I needed to step my game up, or else I'd never get out of here.

"I'm really glad Daddy gave you Charmeleon, though. After he gave away Squirtle, Bulbasaur, and Pika, I was scared that he would be all lonely, but now he isn't, because he has you!" But man, this girl could talk.

"So, I know you have Pika, and Adam has Bulbasaur, but who has Squirtle?" I asked, hoping I could get some information out of her about the mystery trainer.

"Thomas does of course, didn't anyone tell you? I guess not. Well he set off to collect pokemon for his pokedex too, but I think he really wants to become Champion. I want to too, but I've been trying to stop Team Rage so I think he's going to get there before me," she said sadly.

Thomas... Another NPC (Non-player character)? No, he couldn't be. If he was another NPC, he wouldn't have gotten first pick of the starter pokemon. This guy, is the real player.

~~~

A/n: I'm sorry all my names I use are so generic heh heh. Names aren't really my thing.

Anyway, I wanted to thank you guys for 200 reads!!! You guys are the best, and I hope you are enjoying the story so for.

Thanks for reading! *rawr*