Chapter 27

To say I was mad was an understatement.

"I can't believe I trusted that dirty thief," I grumbled sourly as I sat eating {favorite breakfast food}. "And he had to take caterpie of all my pokemon! The one who trusted and looked up to him."

The café we were sitting in for breakfast was fairly crowded. It seemed like a fairly popular place in Cerulean and I could why. It had brightly colored walls and comfy booths to sit at. The smell of pancakes wafted through the air and a quiet chatter filled the restaurant. I relaxed into the cushioned chair behind me and took a sip out of a glass of {favorite drink}.

"I don't know, this just doesn't seem like something Jack would do," Meg said, moving a lone waffle around her plate with a fork.

I rolled my eyes. "Says the one who tried to get rid of him at every chance and has been rivals with him for like a year. Since when are you on his side?"

"See that's the thing! I've known him for a long time and not once did he do anything for himself. Sure, he would steal pokemon from people, but those always went straight back to Team Rage, if I didn't stop him first. He never kept a pokemon he stole, only ones he caught himself. Which leads to the question of why he would take Caterpie.

"Not only did he steal Caterpie, Jack never even liked it in the first place. Stealing a pokemon he doesn't like? Completely out of character." She stabbed her waffle with a fork and began cutting it into pieces.

"You and that grunt were enemies?" Adam had been quiet until now, mostly focused on finishing off his omelet.

Meg nodded, "He was one of the Team Rage grunts I came across the most, and he was pretty... loud. So, I remembered him. Team Rage doesn't have many enemies so I guess I stood out to him too."

"So, what changed? Why were you working together?" he pressed.

Meg and I traded looks. I guess we could give him an edited version of it. "Well, I raided the Team Rage camp in Pewter and he helped me on the way out. Ever since then, he's been part of the team."

Adam's fork dropped from his hand as he stopped in shock. "You raided a Team Rage base all by yourself? And came out of it alive? I thought you had known him before that; why did you think you could trust him?"

"I assumed he had decided that didn't agree with Team Rage anymore," I lied. "And like we said earlier, he needed our protection after running away." Adam frowned, but didn't say anything else.

Meg stood up and stretched. "Time to look for clues, I guess," she said determinedly. "With or without Jack, we still need to catch Team Rage." I nodded and followed her towards the door.

"Wait!" We stopped and turned around to see Adam reluctantly leaving behind a lone strip of bacon. "Don't you want to take a day to rest? I mean, you've had a busy week, right? You must be tired."

I shook my head quickly, not even considering the idea. "A day of rest for us means another day Team Rage gets ahead and the trail gets cold. They've gotten away too many times for us to let them go," I said firmly. 'Plus," I thought to myself. 'If I don't beat them who knows if I'll ever get out of here?'

"But don't you want to find Jack?" Adam tried again.

"If anyone knows where Jack is, it's Team Rage," Meg put in. "Even I don't know where he'd go. If you're feeling tired, you can stay behind and rest. You don't need to come with us; we don't want you getting hurt."

He sighed in defeat. "No, it's fine. I'll come with you." That settled that. We walked outside and looked around for a second. Nothing seemed suspicious and I didn't really know where to start.