Chapter 19

We had been searching for about an hour, when I began to wonder if we'd ever find the stone. I was planning on taking it once I found it, and this was just taking too long. Dust coated my s/c skin making it look paler than it was. There wasn't any air conditioning down here, and the summer heat was making everyone sweat, but no complained, so I didn't either.

I pulled a small box from the top of the stack next to me. 'I wonder how big the stone is... I can't be too large, or else they wouldn't have us checking the smaller boxes,' I thought to myself. The package in my hand was much dustier than the other ones I had opened and I wasn't looking forward to having to open it, but I did anyway.

I reached through layers of tissue paper to find a small black stone that fit perfectly in my palm. It was smooth and shined in the dim light. Although it looked like a regular stone that you would find on a river bank, I knew this was the one.

My hands shook a bit as I closed the box and put it next to me. I needed to find a way to take it without anyone noticing. I looked around the room, my e/c eyes holding a falsely bored look, to see if anyone was paying attention to me. As my eyes eventually found their way to Jack, I realized that he was watching me.

He raised in eyebrow as if to say, "You really thought I wouldn't notice?" I tried to look as innocent as possible, but he knew. Just as he was about to say something, the girl next to me spoke up.

"Guys, I think I found it!" she exclaimed, lifting up a blue stone out of a box next to her. It was obviously a water stone, but everyone else didn't seem to realize that. They all ran over to her as I used the commotion to slip the stone into my backpack.

Jack walked over to me, frowning. "I know you have the stone," he said bluntly.

I just lifted an eyebrow and shook my head, a smirk plastered on my face. "I don't know what you're talking about," I calmly responded.

"I just want you to know, that I'm not turning you in."

I blinked in surprise; I had wondered why he didn't say anything earlier. "Why not? I can't do anything for you."

This time, it was his turn to smirk. "I think you can. When you use that stone, I want to have one of the trio," he said smugly.

"Why should a do that? I could just run away now; I don't need your help."

"But you won't, will you?" he asked. "You'll stay and go with us to see our leader and then report it to one of your goody-two-shoes buddies."

"Why are you so confident that I'll do this? Do you really think I'm that predictable?" I asked, kind of annoyed that he guessed my plan so easily.

"Sure I am, because that's what I would do."

I finally agreed. Although I would most likely need the trio's help to get out of here, I didn't need all three. Promising not to capture one wouldn't hurt.

I could hear the others talking in the background, talking about bringing it to their leader. Hopefully, they wouldn't realize that it was just a water stone, so I could meet the leader and be able to give Meg a name and a face.

"Jack, can you lead us to Z? We need to show him this," one of the guys asked. 'Z must be their leader's name. Weird name, but cool at the same time...'

"Sure," Jack agreed. "Let's go."

A/N: Back at it with another update! Sorry that this chapters short, I know I haven't updated in a while and I just wanted to get this out. ;-; so sorry. I've also had a weird schedule lately and that mixed with my laziness doesn't work.

Also, I've realized that all my names are really generic. I should probably stop saying sorry so much. heh.

Whelp, thanks for reading, I'll see you next Friday hopefully. *rawr*