Chapter 26

I was awoken by the sunlight seeping through the leafy canopy above me. I groaned and sat up, trying to ignore the growling of my stomach. 'Did Meg forget to wake me up for my shift on watch last night?' I glanced around until I saw Meg sleeping peacefully in her sleeping bag a couple feet away from me and crouched next to her sleeping figure.

"Meg! I mean, Ghost! Ghost!" I whispered as I shook her gently, trying to wake her up.

"Ugh, five more minutes."

I tried not to laugh and kept shaking her. "Ghost! Wake up!"

She blinked rapidly before finally opening her eyes to stare at me. "Y/n? What is it?" she asked sleepily. "I was having a good dream."

"Did you forget to wake me up for my shift?" She continued to stare at me, confused before her eyes widened in realization.

"I didn't," she started. "No one woke me up for my shift last night. It was Jack who was supposed to be up before me, right? Where is he?" She wiggled out of her sleeping bag and stood up.

I got up and glanced around our campsite, looking for the person in question. "I'm not sure," I answered truthfully. "I didn't think to look for him before coming to you."

We both looked around the small clearing the surrounding area, trying to find Jack. We left no stone unturned and eventually concluded that he must've run off. However, there was nothing that clued us as to where he could've gone. There were a few scattered leaves in some places that looked off, but it could've just as easily been the wind.

"I just don't know why he would've left!" I grumbled. We were all walking towards Cerulean, deciding that we couldn't do anything about it for now, any either way we needed food.

"I mean we both know the only reason he was here was the," Ghost paused.

I knew what she was trying to say, and the stone really was the only reason Jack had stuck with us, but we had to keep the knowledge of the stone to as few people as possible. Even if that meant keeping Adam in the dark.

"the safety from Team Rage," she finished "You know, safety in numbers and all."

I nodded vigorously as if that made complete sense while Adam just looked confuse. "Yeah," I agreed, playing along. "maybe he felt threatened when we saw those Team Rage in the cave and ran off. In which case, he's just being an idiot because he still would be safer with us."

Ghost and I both knew what would happen if Team Rage ever found Jack again, and let's just say it wouldn't be pretty. So, the idea of him getting scared and running off wasn't completely off track. However, it still didn't make any sense.

Suddenly, alarms bells went off in my head. 'The only reason he was here,' I realized, 'the stone.' I patted the side of my backpack that contained the stone, only to feel the fabric compress under the pressure of my hand.

The stone was gone.

"But maybe we no longer held safety from Team Rage," I said through gritted teeth. I saw Meg visibly tense. And glance at my back pack.

"Y/n?" She asked quietly, sounding oddly calm. "How many pokemon do you have?"

I balked at the random question. "Four. Why?"

She stiffened. "There are only three pokeballs on your bag."

Heyo! What's up? I felt inspired so I wrote out this chapter for you guys. I know it's a bit short (sorry) but I felt like it was a good spot to end. Slight cliff hanger for once, hope you don't hate me ha ha...

So what do you think will happen next? Why did Jack leave? What happened to y/n's missing pokemon? Which pokemon was it? Can they trust Adam with the knowledge on the stone???

Anyway, thanks for reading!