Chapter 20

As Jack guided us to their leader, the people behind me started talking about what they would do with the prize money that they were going to get.

"What are you going to do y/n?"

"I'm going to buy {whatever you want to buy}," I answered truthfully and smiled at them before looking forwards again.

"I hadn't thought about that!" Their chatter quieted as we reached a large black door at the end of a long hallway. It was overly dramatic in my opinion, but I'll admit I was a little nervous too. Jack knocked on the door a couple times before we heard a voice from inside.

"State your name and business."

Although everyone else seemed nervous, Jack responded calmly as if he had done this a million times. "Jack, sir. I'm here with some of the other grunts who think they've found the stone, sir."

There was a moment of quiet before we heard, "Come in."

The room was quite bare except for a wooden desk at the back and a lonely Team Rage banner that hung next to an open window. There was a stack of papers on the desk and a Team rage cup with a few pens in it. A man wearing a blood red suit with black dress pants sat in the leather chair behind the desk. A leather jacket that hung off his shoulders had a label that said "Z" above a couple of stars that had been sewn into it.

We walked in with our backs straight and our heads held high. I tried to stay towards the middle of the group so I could see the leader, but he wouldn't notice me. However, the leader, "Z", wore a mask, much like the one Meg wore when she was Ghost. The only difference was that I couldn't see his eyes either; he wore dark sunglasses even though he was inside.

    "Who has the stone?" he asked quietly. His voice seemed deep, but for all I know, he could be changing his voice the same way that Meg did. The girl who had found the stone lifted her hand up. "Bring it here."

    She walked to the front of the group and handed the water stone to him. I tried not to laugh as I saw his hand clench the stone tightly. "This," he growled. "is a water stone." You could feel the temperature in the room drop a couple degrees, and I was barely holding a straight face.

    Z's eyes traveled through our group, as if looking for one person to blame. The girl who found the stone had scurried back our group and was now crouched behind me. "Y/n, hide me!" she whispered quietly. I nodded/shook my head, but I don't think she could see it anyway.

    For a second, while I was trying to look as unimportant as possible, I saw Z look at me and he dropped the water stone. Everyone in our group flinched as it landed on the floor with a crack. 'He knows I'm not one of them!' I thought, panicking. I started to look around the room for exits in case I needed to escape, but Z didn't say anything.

    "Go back to searching," he finally said after a couple tense minutes of silence. I let out a breath of relief and started walking back towards the door. "Except you." Without turning around, I knew he was talking to me.

    "Yes sir," I mumbled and stood still while everyone else left.

    "Take a seat." He gestured to the seat in front of his desk and I took it. "What's your name, Grunt?" he asked sounding bored.

    "Kitty," I said, not feeling comfortable giving him my real name.

    "Well Kitty, I have a few questions for you. Nothing bad, so you can relax." I nodded, but didn't feel relaxed at all. "You knew the stone wasn't the real one, didn't you?" Z said, more like a statement than a question.

    "Well, I had my suspicions," I said carefully, making sure not to say anything that would give me away. "It just didn't look like the stone, ya'know? It didn't feel special, but they seemed pretty excited about it so I just went along with it."