Chapter 5

A/N: We are finally getting to the battling! This part was pretty fun to write, so tell me what you think! Character suggestions are still open! I hope you enjoy the chapter. *rawr*

Charmander crept towards the wild pidgey, hidden by his smoke screen. The pidgey was attacking randomly as it tried to find us. "Charmander, scratch!" I yelled.

The smoke disappeared and he landed on it and made the final blow. "Yeah! Level ten!" I exclaimed, lifting him into the air. Training had been a lot harder than it is in-game. I had to manually teach Charmander each move, explaining how he would use it, and we would practice multiple times before he got it down. However, he had been able to remember more than four moves, but only his first four showed up on the pokedex; I had to memorize the rest.

Despite the difficulties, it was more fun this way and I felt more attached to my pokemon. We were almost at the next city, Viridian city.

"Hey, wait up!" I heard from behind. I turned around to see Adam running towards me. "Hi Adam, what's up?" I asked. He stopped next to me.

"I *huff* wanted to know *huff* if you'd *huff* like to have a pokemon battle." He said, out of breath. "Oh, come on. You can't be that tired! Bulbasaur has much shorter legs than you and he seems fine." I said.

"Traitor." Adam grumbled at his pokemon. I laughed. "So, will you have a pokemon battle with me?" he asked again.

"Of course! Can I heal Charmander first though?" I said. I had been wondering if I would have the rival-battle. "Sure. The Viridian Pokemon center should be right over here shouldn't it?" he said as he started to walk forward. I followed him. We turned a corner, and Viridian city was right in front of us. I stood there, amazed. The city wasn't that big, but it seemed huge compared to Pallet town.

Adam saw me staring and smiled. "Have you never seen a city this big? It's actually a relatively small city. I can't wait to see your reaction when we get to Saffron." He laughed.

"I-I just... It's so..." I stuttered as I tried to explain.

"Yeah, it's cool isn't it?" he said. I just nodded in response.

We entered the Pokecenter. It was very big; the ceiling was much higher than you would think looking at the outside of the building. I walked up to the front desk. "Hello! I'm Nurse Joy! Would you like me to rest your pokemon?" the nurse asked.

"Yes, please." I handed her Charmander's pokeball.

A couple seconds later she handed it back to me "Here you go. We hope to see you again!" I waited for Adam to heal his Bulbasaur and then headed outside.

"There's a nice clearing over there." I said, pointing. "Nah," he said "let's battle right here." He sent out his Bulbasaur. "Um, right here? We might break something." I said. I didn't have enough money to cover any charges. "Yeah, this spot is fine. Our pokemon aren't too strong yet. Send out your Charmander."

I sent out Charmander right in front of me. "Are we starting?" I asked. "I just sent you the challenge request. Do you see it?" I did, it popped up on the screen of my pokedex. "We'll start in 3... 2... 1. Go!" Adam said. I watched him, he had Bulbasaur doing defensive moves. This battle should be easy because of the type advantage, but it was my first trainer battle and according to my pokedex, his Bulbasaur is five levels above Charmander. "Charmander, smokescreen." I whispered.

Slowly, smoke started coming out of Charmander's tail and filling the surrounding area. Soon, the opposing team was out of sight. Charmander hadn't moved yet. I glanced at my pokedex, reminding myself of his moves.

"Use ember then move to the right." To them, it would seem like a ball of flame coming out of nowhere, but I didn't want them finding Charmander based on his attacks. I saw Bulbasaur's health drop by half on my pokedex. "Good job," I whispered "now finish it off by using ember again." The smoke was slowly fading. "No!" I heard from the other side of the smoke.

Soon I could see clearly. "Yay! I won!" I cheered. "Good job Charmander. I knew you could do it!" I patted his head.

"What do you mean you won? It's not over yet." Adam smiled.

"What do you mean? Bulbasaur is your only pokemon, right?" I asked. Unless he picked up a shinx or a rattata, he only had one pokemon. "No." he said and rummaged through his bag until he pulled out another pokeball.

"I received this one from my dad, he thought I'd need it." He said, and sent out a level 17 Mareep. "This is Meep." He said, grinning. "Aw, not fair." I complained. It was a good thing Charmander's "ember" was a ranged attack. I told him to use it, and he hit her dead on. Meep's health only lowered an eighth of the way, she barely seemed to notice it.

"Meep, thundershock," Adam commanded. "Charmander, dodge!" I shouted, but it was too late. His health dropped to ten points. "Smokescreen." I tried.

Smoke started to fill the area again. "Nope." His mareep used its tail to blow it away. This wasn't good.

A/N: Man, I love writing about battles, it's so cool!! Have you guys seen the new starters for Pokemon Sun & Moon? They're SO cute! Although, I feel like they are slowly becoming less original. Like the fire starter Litten, is a kitten. I mean you've got to be kitten me.

I still love it though! Also, school is almost over!! Weird right? I can finally get a life :P Anyway, I hope you enjoyed! Thank you for reading. *rawr*