Chapter 8

Charmeleon leapt up into the air, and bit a metapod that had been hiding in the trees, fire pouring out of his mouth. "Did you just use Fire Fang?!" I asked with excitement. I didn't think that he would learn this until later on, but I was perfectly fine with him learning it now!

"Alright guys, I think we're ready," I said confidently. I wanted to beat the gym leader as quickly as possible, so that I can actually eat something. I healed them at the Pokecenter, and then set off towards the gym. It didn't look very menacing from the outside, with a light brown color and a small curved dome as the main building, but once I stepped through the sliding glass doors in the front, I became scared.

It was mildly dark inside, giving the room a dangerous mood. The floor was made of rock, unlike the normal gym-floor that I'd been expecting. Large boulders were randomly place around the room with smaller rocks surrounding them. There were no trainers in sight.

"Hello soon-to-be champ," someone exclaimed loudly in my ear. I turned to my right to see a chubby man wearing overalls over a brown t-shirt.

"Um, hello." I said. "Welcome to Brock-the-Rock's gym! Trainers are hiding behind all the boulders you see here. Once you find and defeat all of them, the door will open and you will be able to fight Brock!" he said cheerily.

I muttered my thanks and set off to defeat all the trainers. The first to were easy to find; they were right next to each other laughing their heads off about something. Their geodudes were toast against Charmeleon's dragon rage.

After I healed him, Charmeleon defeated another couple geodudes and a machop. Soon, he was level 20, and we were ready to battle the gym leader. I healed him up one last time, and entered to final room through a hidden door which previously was hidden behind a boulder.

I was nervous. If Charmeleon leveled up, I wouldn't be able to use him until I beat the next gym. The room was pitch-black. I felt my way along a short corridor before it opened up and I could no longer feel the walls next to me.

Suddenly, the lights turned on, temporarily blinding me. "Welcome to my gym!" A man in the center of the cavern said. Or at least, he tried to say, but his dramatic welcoming couldn't be heard over my cries of pain. "My eyes!! It hurts!!" I wailed.

"Er, sorry about that," he said. "It was supposed to be dramatic. What is your name challenger?"

"Y/N," I grumbled. My eyes still hurt. At least Charmeleon didn't seem hurt by the change in brightness. "Is that the pokemon you will be starting with?" Brock asked. I nodded in response. "Go, Charmeleon," I mumbled.

Charmeleon walked over to the center of the gym and looked back at me, a determined look in his eyes. "We're ready," I said.

The battle was pretty boring. Charmeleon defeated Brock's two geodudes easily with his dragon rage. Throughout the battle, that was the only move that he used. It was the only move that he could use.

His fire and normal type attacks would not be very effective. Dragon rage, with its guaranteed 40 damage, was our best hope. I watched as his exp. Bar rose higher and higher. Finally, Brock called out his last pokemon. "The battle's not over yet!" he yelled. "Come on out, buddy!"

A/N: SORRY!! The first couple times that I tried to upload this, it just posted "I". I'm not sure why, but it's fixed now!

Thank you for reading. *rawr*