Chapter 24 -- Night Out

"DADDY STOP!" ZOE GIGGLED.

Percy tickled the little nugget as she lay on the floor, rolling back and forth.

"NEVER!" He picked up Zo and fireman carried her to the couch, where he plopped her on a cushion.

"Okay guys, calm down." Annabeth laughed, "Zoe, Uncle Nico and Uncle Will are coming over in a few minutes and they're gonna play with you while Mommy and Daddy go out."

Percy gave an annoyed look. He shipped Nico and Will so hard, but there was still that thought in the back of his mind. He still hadn't gotten over how he wasn't Nico's type. Typical Seaweed Brain.

"Yay! I love Uncle Nico. He's funny. And Uncle Will loves him too."

"Yeah? How do you know?"

"They don't say it like you and Daddy do. Uncle Nico looks over at Uncle Will and calls him an idiot. But he's not being mean, he does it nicely. And then Uncle Will hugs him and says, 'I know, Sunshine.' "

Annabeth thought that was the cutest thing ever. Just then, there was a knock at the door. Percy opened it to find Zoe's favorite uncles.

"Hey guys!"

"Hey Percy, Annabeth, Zoeeeeeeee!" Will clamor end into the house and chased after Zoe, who shrieked and kept running around the couch, followed by Will, pretending to be winded by the pace he was running. Zoe kept giggling as Nico walked in.

"Her bedtime's 8:00 now." Annabeth reminded.

Will gasped. "Zoe! You're such a big girl, staying up so late!"

Nico laughed, "Yeou dorks." Then turned to Annabeth and said, "We got it covered. Have fun!"

Percy and Annabeth left their apartment smiling. Their daughter was in the good and capable hands of the "best couple ever!1!1!" (In Percy's opinion). They had taken Nico's last name as an effort to keep the Italian tradition alive in the family ("Awwwwwwwwww-" "yes they're cute, we know.").

"Perce, are you sure we should be going to the Christmas party this year? You always get tipsy and end up crying about dogs from the internet."

"Please, Annabeth, I do not." He scoffed, as he retrieved the keys from his pocket and unlocked the car.

"Uh huh, tell that to this video from last year." She played a clip from her phone of a hunched over Percy in the corner, who was sobbing miserably into his waterproof phone case. The screen was clearly visible in the shot, and a golden retriever puppy with a goofy smile and reindeer antlers on could be made out.

"I'm a sensitive guy, okay?" He defended himself, pouting.

Annabeth laughed and stayed silent through the rest of the ride to the aquarium. The lobby was decorated in holiday themes, red and green streamers, Santa hats, and tiny pipe cleaner Christmas trees.

As per usual, Percy saw the fishbowl alcoholic drinks and took pleasure in taking a few sips. This was all before he realized of course, that he was like twenty five years old and a father and was too old to partake in dumb fishbowl beverages. This saddened him, but he braved through it. Also when his wife didn't drink but he did, he felt uncomfortable.

"Seaweed brain, go on, have fun." She nudged, wanting some new material to send to the Seven this year. He never got so drunk he couldn't take care of himself, but more that he got a little intoxicated and wouldn't take care of himself. He was like a baby, in that he wanted to eat, sleep, cry, and be cuddled. When the hangover hit though, he'd be a sick child, wanting waffles - but only blue - and lots of eggs.

Annabeth had a few Christmas cookies, and talked to some of the other spouses. They chatted for at least an hour, giving her introvert senses a heart attack, before the managing board stood up and made an announcement to the party.

"Good evening, everyone, and merry Christmas! We've got some news tonight, and also tons of food so please, eat up!" The crowd laughed, and the main manager started up again. "We have a bittersweet announcement to make. Our very own Percy Jackson, is being promoted to manage our bigger chain in Baltimore, the National Aquarium. "

Annabeth gasped, not aware of the big decision to pack up and leave their home. She looked at Percy, who looked as surprised as she was. It was probably something that Percy hadn't agreed to. They probably hadn't spoken to him in private about it.

There was applause and an eruption of congratulations that really only made Annabeth sick. Everyone they loved lived in New York. Everything they loved was there too. Annabeth's architectural firm, Percy's favorite bakery, Zoe's favorite babysitters. All in New York.

Percy eventually made his way through the crowd and found Annabeth. "Babe, I swear I had no idea-"

"Perce, it's okay. We'll manage."

"I just never even knew about this. They just sprung it on me. I mean, we'll get more money. But I promise we can make it work."

"Whatever happens, we'll be fine because we love each other."

____________________________

AGH OMG GUYS HOW DO I HAVE 46K READS AND PEOPLE ASKING ME TO UPDATE LIKE EVERY HOUR THIS IS INSANE

I OWE IT ALL TO YOU GUYS I SWEAR I LOVE YOU SO MUCH

THANKS THANKS THANKS THANKS THANKS THANKS THANKS THANKS

I CAN'T GET OVER THIS

Oh also I hella ship Solangelo can you tell haha

-Carmen xoxo <3