Chapter 16-- 8 Months and Surprises

ANNABETH WAS DONE. Being a mom was fine. She could handle that, but carrying the baby, no. Although her skin glowed, her hair shone, and her nails were the strongest and prettiest they’ve ever been, she was done. She was ready for this baby to come out. Now.

She felt like an elephant, rhino, hippo, planet, house (which was accurate), and most of all, not herself. All she wanted to do was not have to go to the bathroom every twenty minutes. And not have rocketships ask if they can land on her stomach.

She sat at her desk, drawing out the design for a new building her firm was working. Her assistant came in. “Annabeth? Someone’s here to see you. They insist it’s quite urgent.”

“Send them in then, Jonathan.” She didn’t look up from her rough draft.

“Annabeth? Please tell me you are not seriously working late on a Friday night.” Came the familiar voice of a certain Hunter of Artemis.

“Thalia!” Annabeth looked up taking off her work glasses.

“Whoa. You wear glasses? I need to visit WAY more often.”

“Only when I work. But look at you! You’re here! Why are you here?” Annabeth turned the conversation toward Thalia.

“You’re pregnant. You, my oldest friend, my sister basically, are having a freaking baby.” She says, tearing up.

“Oh Honey….” Annabeth got up and went over to Thalia. She put her arm around

her shoulder.

“I want that. Annabeth I want it so much.” Thalia started crying.

“Oh… Stop crying, please stop crying.”

“I’ve been a tree, I’ve been alone, I’ve been a hunter. I want to be a grownup with a

job and taxes and a family. I want a family.”

“Thalia you have a family. Remember? Everyone at Camp would gladly call you family.”

“I want what you and Percy have. I had the chance and I blew it!”

“Whoa whoa whoa. What do you mean? What chance?” Annabeth stopped her.

“Artemis gave me a chance: go back to being a normal half-blood, or stay with the hunters. I chose the hunters! Why did I do that?” She explained.

“I’m sure she would understand if you changed your mind.” Annabeth tried to help.

“She would but she’s like a mom to me. I don’t want to disappoint her.” Thalia said. Annabeth knew exactly where she was coming from with that.

“You won’t disappoint her. She just wants what’s best for you. Sure she might be a little sad, but eventually she’ll realize that you need to do what you need to do.”