Chapter Three

Should I? Maybe not. It's not a good idea. Maybe I shouldn't. I can think so many things that can go wrong.

I put my phone down with his number and sigh.

Knock knock

"Shawn? Are you going to bed early?" I got up and opened my door.

"I don't know. Why? Do you want me to do something?" I ask dad.

"No I'm just checking up on you. And please stop locking your door." I sigh.

"Okay dad." But I turn off the light and walk downstairs and sit at the table with mom who is writing papers.

"Hi sweetie. Not going to sleep right now?" I just shook my head.

"What are you doing?"

"Writing my scheduling forms." She slowly looks at me.

"To work the night shifts?" I say a little agitated.

"Nope to work more days." I smile wide.

"Really? That's good!" I tell her.

"Yea. I trust that you can take care of yourself. You're an adult now. You're eighteen." I shook my head.

"I know."

"But that doesn't mean you're off the hook for restrictions." I sigh but in a good way.

"Of course not."

"Speaking of which, did you take your vitamins?" I nod.

About those vitamins, they are different than the ones before. They tasted so much better. The last ones I had left a fish and garlic aftertaste all the time! God I wanted to flush those pills so bad. Garlic and fish supposedly are really good for your heart. But this time the vitamins tasted like honey.

"Thanks for better tasting vitamins." She laughs and I laugh with her.

-

I wake up very early in the morning with pain on my arm and shortening breath. I scream in pain and mom and dad comes in to the door scared.

"Shawn what's wrong?" Dad asks turning on the light.

"My arm! It hurts like fuck! And I can't breathe!"

Dad picks me up and runs downstairs and I'm putted in the front seat.

"Sweetie please stay with Aaliyah. I'll call you later on." Dad says. She nods and runs inside and dad gets in and drives like crazy to the hospital.

We pass through so many stop lights and I can hear police cars chasing us. Oh god.

We got blocked by police cars and I start to feel dizzy.

"Please my son is having a heart attack!"

My body immediately shudders at that word. Attack. I'm not a doctor but I know heart and attack in a same sentence is not good.

The police cars immediately move away.

"Do... I really?" I say to dad out of breath.

"No of course not! I just said that to have them off my back." Dad says laughing. But there's also a lie in that laugh. But I manage to laugh anyways just for dad.

We arrive at a hospital and everything starts to look a little blurry. My dad tries to help me walk to the emergency room. But I fall and I can't move.

>>>

Cameron's POV

"Come on mom! We're going to be late." I yell at mom.

"Cameron. We still have time." I sigh and put on my coat.

I'm so excited I'll be interning with my mom. She's a emergency nurse and I need experience so I can work with her. I recently graduated from college and now I just need experience and I'll be qualified. But does it have to be a night shift? Oh well. It'll be worth it in the long run.

Looking at my phone I frown that... Oh god I don't even know his name! Wow. But he hasn't even texted me yet. I mean I'm probably overreacting. It's only been less than a day.

"Come on Cameron. I'm ready now."

"About time!" I say laughing to her.

"Sierra there better not be a party when I come back." My mom says.

"Mom don't worry. She doesn't even have friends." I say smirking.

"Shut up Cam that's why your boyfriend didn't text you." She says with a devilish smile.

"Lisa told you." She laughs and I groan. "I hate both of you."

Mom and I walk out and got into her car. She drives to the hospital she works at. It's only eleven thirty p.m. when we arrived.

"Cameron when we get inside... Don't embarass me if you faint, sleep, or whatever." I laugh at her.

"Don't worry mom. I got this."

We got out and got in the hospital and I start my experience.

It's only four in the morning and it was slow and boring. I find mom and sigh.

"Where's all the emergencies? There's only been three patients but it wasn't even an emergency." Mom looks at me with an eyebrow raised.

"Well for one, we should be thankful that people are all right and don't need to come. Secondly, you have to be patient and find something to do."

"Play with the Defibrillator machines?" And she looks at me with the most deadliest glare I ever saw.

"Cameron Alexander Dallas. If you do anything like that or get yourself in a lot of trouble I will personally report you and kick you out of my house." I laugh really hard and hug my mom.

"Jesus! I was kidding! I'm twenty-two not two." She just pushes me away.

"Don't touch me." I continued laughing and she walks away but I follow her.

"Mooo-"

"Somebody! Please help my son!" We hear someone yell. I look at my mom and we both ran. I heard a thump so someone must've fallen. My mom and I picked up the fallen guy and when we did my heart dropped.

It was the guy from the supermarket and the café.

I picked him up and ran to an open room. I set him down and I had to get scissors and rip his shirt off.

"What's his name?" My mom asked. I put an oxygen mask on him.

"Shawn. Shawn Mendes."

Shawn.

My mom does her thing as I observe her and more doctors come in to help. I help them out too and plugged in the EKG machine.

"His heart rate is slowing down." Oh God. So this is what it's like being an ER nurse.

"Can you please fill me in?" An ER tech said.

"He has a heart defect. He woke up with shortness of breath and extreme pain in his arm."

"Heart rate is going down!" My heart starts to race. There's a life on the line.

Shawn's dad wouldn't leave and the doctors and nurses are losing focus because of the yelling.

"Cameron please get him out." Mom says. I nodded.

"Hey hey! He'll be okay. I promise." He looks at me with fear.

"Please help my son." I nod genuinely and he walks out.

I go over to Shawn and he grabs my hand. I look at him with shock. But I squeeze his hand.

"Hang in there Shawn."

After injecting IV fluids with beta blockers (specific medications for the heart), his heart rate begins to go back to normal. And after a minute his vital signs return normally.

"Hey there Cameron. I didn't know you're a doctor." I laugh and shook my head.