CHAPTER SIX

"So have you ever been camping before?" Tyce asked, glancing at my tent and then back to me.

"Yeah, I used to go a lot as a kid. It's been a while though. Have you?" I replied. He shook his head and laughed lightly.

"No not really. I mean, um, I've stayed in a trailer a couple times, but not in a tent," he said.

"Well there's a first time for everything," I said, trying to look at him without seeming like I'm staring or otherwise being weird. He nodded in agreement.

"So, I uh, I need a favor," he said, rubbing the back of his neck as if he was somewhat nervous.

"Oh?" I looked at him expectantly. What favor could I possibly do him? I mean I just met the guy literally 10 seconds ago.

"Well, um. Here's the thing. Er, there's six guys, including myself and you, but we only brought two tents. I figured Zaiden would've brought one, but I guess he had aleady made plans with Jordan, and Alex and Sam are best friends, so nobody told me." He rambled. I looked at him confused.

"Okay.." I said, expecting him to make his point clearer. He sighed.

"Well the tents are two man tents, so if those two pairs use those tents, and the girls have their own..." He closed his eyes briefly. "Look I'm asking if it's alright if I share yours?" He rushed out, as if he couldn't say the words fast enough. I looked from him, to my tent, and back to him again. He looked at me expectantly, waiting for my answer. So much for my alone time.

"Uh, sure," I said. "That's fine," I told him, trying to sound cool about it. "Let me uh, move around some stuff for you," I muttered. He smiled brightly.

"Thanks! Thanks so much. I'll go get my stuff," he replied, before turning on his heel and going back over to the SUV he came in.

So that's why he wanted to talk to me, I thought, shaking my head a little. On the bright side though, he was the hottest guy here and I get to share with him. Hopefully he's not like a murderer or something. As much as I thought that was stupid, the thought still flickered in my mind for however brief a moment. I sighed deeply and then climbed into the tent to reorganize since I was gonna be having company.

At this point I realized how much I hated sleeping bags, and since I had brought a ton of blankets with me to sleep with instead of getting inside the bag, I figured I'd just leave my sleeping bag rolled out and unzipped like a mat over the air mattress and Tyce could just lay his sleeping bag over that. I had just finished clearing him some room when he reappeared outside the tent. 

"Thanks again for letting me stay. I kinda didn't know what I was gonna do since I seem to be the odd man out," he laughed a little and cracked a crooked smile. I shrugged. 

"It's no big deal. I'll uh...I'll let you get organized. I put my stuff on this side and I figured you could take that side," I told him, motioning to opposite sides of the tent. He nodded his understanding and got to work getting his stuff together. I decided to leave him to it, after all he didn't need me to sit there and stare at him while he got everything where he wanted it. I slipped out of the tent and walked over towards the fire pit area. Hadley was there with April and Zaiden, while everyone else was off getting there stuff put together to get ready for the night. 

"Hey Grif," Hadley greeted as I walked up to them. "Have a seat!" She said, patting the log beside her. I popped a squat. 

"Thanks." 

"Zaiden was just telling us about some of the places nearby," Hadley explained, before turning her attention back to Zaiden. 

"Yeah! I told the other guys about the outhouse that's located just down there a little ways," He said, pointed to a little path that led off into the trees. "And also, there's a lake that's a little bit up a trail off to the right if anyone is up for swimming. The water isn't usually too cold and it's a great way to cool off." 

"What about showering?" April asked him. He laughed. 

"There aren't any showers here, unless you wanna bathe in the lake," Zaiden replied. 

"Hey," said Brooke, walking up to us and sitting on the log next to April. "I don't think we've met," she said, looking in my direction. "I'm Brooke."

"I'm Griffin," I replied kindly. She nodded her head and Zaiden filled her in on what we had been talking about. Pretty soon Jordan came walking up to the fire pit wearing a grey shirt with some blue shorts. 

"Is anyone else hungry? I'm kind of like, starving," he groaned. 

"I am," said Zaiden and Brooke. 

"I'm more thirsty," Hadley said. 

"Well we put a couple of the coolers over by the cars in the shade, so if anyone wants anything, just help yourselves," Jordan said, surveying the group. We all nodded our understanding. Izzie, Paisley, and Chloe came walking over together and they were giggling about something. 

"Ugh! You guys it isn't even that funny!" Paisley complained as the others continued to laugh. 

"It totally was though," Izzie said, shaking her head. We looked at them in confusion. 

"Paisley already freaked out over a spider," Chloe told us, chuckling a little. 

"It was in the tent!" Paisley declared. 

"No, it was next to the tent," Izzie laughed. 

"We're out in the woods and you girls are already complaining about bugs?" Interjected Alex as he and Sam came walking over. "We could hear you screaming over there." Alex had light brown hair and almost black eyes. I hadn't really seen him up close until now. 

He was decent looking, but to be honest all the others were clean shaven except for Tyce, and I found it super attractive on him. Like his stubble was perfect. Without really thinking I kind of started letting my thoughts drift around Tyce. He seemed nice enough but I didn't really know him all that well yet. 

I wasn't much for this conversation seeing as I wasn't hungry yet and we'd definitely be having hot dogs over the fire for dinner later so I decided to go for something to drink. 

As I was fishing around for some soda or something to drink a finger poked my side, startling me. I jumped. Type started laughing. 

"You're skittish," he observed, still chuckling. 

"I am not!" I said defensively, clutching a cold can of Coca Cola in my fist. 

"If you say so," He shrugged. 

"I only am when I unexpectedly get poked by a stranger," I explained, raising an eyebrow at him.

"Okay but I'm not a stranger," He laughed, shaking his head at me. He opened back up the cooler and fished around for his own drink. 

"Um. Yeah you are. I don't even know you," I corrected him. He regarded me closely for a moment. 

"For now," he grinned. 

"Okaaay. So did you get everything organized?" I asked him, changing the subject. Was he flirting with me? It kinda felt like it but then I didn't always read signals right. 

"Yep!" He said, popping the 'p.' I nodded.

"That's good," I replied. 

"Yo Tyce! Grab me a water will you? I'm dying over here!" Alex yelled over in our direction. The guys started laughing. 

"Coming right up!" Tyce hollered back. He grabbed a water and walked off to give it to Alex without another word, leaving me awkwardly just standing there. I looked after him briefly before deciding to open my drink and explore a little, walking off  in the opposite direction.