CHAPTER FORTY SEVEN

Tyce rolled his eyes as if he was annoyed by the tension in the room. Everyone kept glancing around and not saying much.

"Tyce can we talk?" Alex finally asked. Jordan let out a breath and I watched Tyce's face closely for his reaction. His jaw was set in a hard line, but my mind starting wandering. My thoughts of kissing along his perfect jaw returned almost immediately as I desperately tried to swat them away. There was absolutely nothing sexual about this incredibly awkward moment. I certainly didn't need to go and make it even more awkward for myself. Tyce turned to me, his eyebrows raised as if he was seeking my approval or something. I raised my own eyebrows back at him in surprise.

"Uh," Tyce started, biting his lip nervously "Sure." He gave my hand a tight squeeze before he turned on his heel and returned to the front door. Alex and Jordan both looked at each other for a moment before following after him slowly. I wanted to know what they were saying but out of respect for Tyce I figured I'd give them some space.

"Don't worry," Hadley was saying as I watched the front door close behind all of them. I turned back to her.

"I'm trying not to," I sighed.

"Do you think I should go out and maybe...I don't know..referee?" Zaiden asked nervously to nobody in particular.

"Maybe you should Zaiden," April told him as she walked up to us. I didn't even know she was here. She looked around at me. "I mean we don't want a fight or anything."

"Yeah," I agreed.

"I'll be right back. Make yourselves at home," Zaiden muttered as he turned and left the room.

"C'mon Grif, let's go out back. I hope someone else has taken over grilling the burgers," Hadley joked as she hooked her arm around mine and led me through the kitchen and out the back to the covered patio. Once outside, we seated ourselves in some of the chairs that were out there.

"So...have you heard from your family at all?" Paisley asked.

"I talked to my sister," I replied. "She's been really supportive. I'm hoping she can help my parents get used to it." Paisley nodded and then looked around. I guess she didn't know what else to say at this point. To be honest I didn't either.

"I'm sure they'll come around," Hadley chimed in, shooting me a reassuring smile. I smiled back at her. Suddenly her attention turned towards the barbecue grill. "Oh hell," she muttered, getting up from her chair. Paisley and I both turned to see what Hadley was looking at. April was standing over by the grill with some guy. They were looking at each other as if neither one really knew what they were doing with the burgers. "They're gonna burn!" Hadley exclaimed as she rushed over there. Paisley and I snickered as we turned back to each other.

"Who would've thought Hadley would save the day?" I joked sarcastically. Paisley tried to keep herself from laughing. Just then Alex appeared in the doorway. He walked carefully over to me. I looked up at him from where I was sitting.

"I'm sorry for what Sam did. It wasn't right and I should've stood by Tyce instead of being a coward," he said softly, looking at his feet. I nodded even though he wasn't looking at me as I thought about what to say back.

"It's okay, although I'm not really the one you should be apologizing to. I mean you didn't do anything to me. I just was upset for Tyce," I replied carefully. Alex nodded.

"I know, but I needed to apologize to you too because I realized I didn't even try to be nice to you or get to know you. That's my fault and I'm sorry for that," he said.

"Thank you. That means a lot," I told him, making sure he knew I meant it.

"Just let me do it!" Hadley was saying fiercely, turning all of our attention over to the grill again.

"Well uh, it looks like they need some help over there," Alex added. I chuckled a little.

"Maybe just a little bit," I replied. Alex shot me a small smile briefly before he scrambled over to where Hadley was standing with April and that other kid. They continued to argue with each other.

"Wow what have I been missing?" Zaiden laughed as he walked outside with Tyce and Jordan on his heels.

"Looks like April and Hadley are having a hard time with that meat," Tyce told him with his eyebrows raised. I put my hand over my mouth to stifle the laughter that threatened to spill out. Zaiden shot Tyce a look while Jordan pulled a funny face. Tyce turned to me and he smiled brightly as he came over. "Are you laughing at me?" He grinned. I tried to shrug innocently. Before I could do anything about it he sat on my lap, almost crushing my legs.

"As much as I love you...this is not comfortable," I groaned. Tyce laughed and pecked my lips.

"No? You don't like when I sit on your lap?" He asked. Just then I popped a woody in my shorts and my face went red with embarrassment because I knew Tyce could feel it against his leg. He leaned down next to my face. "Hmm seems like you don't mind," He whispered. I pushed him off of me and put my hands in my lap to try and hide it.

"I take it you guys are okay?" I asked, nodding my head in Alex and Jordan's direction.

"Yeah," Tyce replied as he sat down in the chair next to me. "They were both sorry for how they acted, they just weren't sure what to do at the time."

"What about Sam?" I asked. Tyce shrugged.

"They haven't been talking to him. Apparently he was fighting with them about it and he basically repeated what he said earlier and it pissed them both off," Tyce explained.

"Well why didn't Alex or Jordan talk to you sooner?" I prodded. Tyce shook his head and chuckled.

"I don't know, I guess they didn't know if I wanted to talk to them. But we're all good now," he replied.

"That's good," I said. I was so glad that Tyce didn't have to lose his friends over liking another guy, even if Sam was an asshole. That meant he was never a friend anyway.

"Burgers are done!" Jordan announced loudly. There were suddenly a lot of people rushing over to get some food. Paisley hopped up from her chair and joined the crowd.

"Want me to get you one babe?" Tyce asked sweetly. I blushed like a complete dork hearing him call me that again. I didn't know why but it just seemed so cute and cheesy and I loved it.

"Sure," I replied with a smile. He got up and leaned down, capturing my lips with his again. Every time we kissed, I was filled with pure joy. The sparks were igniting everywhere inside me. Tyce was definitely the sweetest guy I had ever known, and I was incredibly lucky to have met him on that camping trip. I would need to remember to thank Hadley one day because if she hadn't made me go I probably wouldn't have met him, and I can't imagine not having him in my life now. An incredibly warm feeling spread from the tips of my ears to my toes as he flashed his cute smile at me and walked off. So this is what love feels like, I thought as I smiled to myself.