FORTY EIGHT: EPILOGUE

I stepped cautiously through the front door again for the first time in weeks. Everything I had already felt suddenly came bubbling back up to the surface. The anger, frustration, sadness, disbelief, anxiety, etc. The knot in my stomach formed well before I even started my drive over here, and it only got bigger with each passing minute.

I closed the door behind me and didn't make any attempt to move further. If I needed a quick getaway or if nothing was different I certainly wasn't going to hang around to hear about it.

"Hello?" I called out. There was no immediate answer. I had already talked to my sister on the phone about this and she assured me that my mother would be here. I heard some shuffling around and movement from the kitchen at the back of the house.

"Griffin?" She called out. I didn't reply. The sound of her voice made me tense. At the same time though, I felt relieved to even have gotten this far. I had to keep telling myself that at least neither one of my parents had said anything hateful, though that could all easily change still. My mind flashed to that day when I was last here. When she wouldn't say anything.

"Griffin is that you?" She said as she came around the corner and into view. She stopped where she was as soon as she caught sight of me. I was still exactly the same as she always saw me. I hadn't changed at all. The silence passed between us.

"It took you long enough," I said steadily, trying to convey my anger and frustration as well as the disappointment and sadness.

"I'm sorry," she whispered.

"For which part?" I said seriously. She blinked at me. "For not accepting me? For not calling me for weeks? For not doing anything when I left?" I stared directly at her. Her face crumpled slightly.

"Okay there are so many things I am sorry for. And I can never apologize enough. You're my son. You always will be. Whatever you do, you're my son. My child. Nothing changes that," she told me as steadily as she could.

"Except that's not how you made me feel before," I told her.

"Griffin. I needed to be able to think. I needed to comprehend what you said. I'm sorry for how I reacted. I should never have done that. But please, try to understand. It was like I had to let go of the person I thought you were, and recognize the person that you are."

"Mom..." I said in an agitated tone. "I. Am. The. Same! I'm the same Griffin. The same kid you raised. The one you've always been around. It's not like I died and there's a new me!"

"I know that. I know honey and I'm so sorry. I just had to reconcile who I thought you were with who you are. I'm sorry I didn't react how you wanted. I'm sorry I didn't reach out like you wanted. I just hope you can understand that I know I was wrong. I'm hoping you can forgive me for that," she said.

"Well I guess that depends on whether or not you're okay with me dating a man. That it doesn't freak you out and as long as you recognize you were wrong and that I'm still me, I mean, it'll take some time but I want a relationship with you. You're my mom," I said, my voice breaking a little bit.

"Oh honey!" She said, rushing towards me and throwing her arms around me. I was a thrown a little off guard and had to steady myself. But I slipped my arms around her too and we sat there for a moment.

"I don't care who you love. All I want for you is love. I want you to be happy. I'm so sorry I've caused so much pain," she muttered through tears. "I love you Griffin," she said.

"I love you too Mom," I replied, hugging her tighter. I sniffled a little. She pulled back.

"So," she said, wiping at her eyes. "You're sister tells me that she hasn't met your boyfriend either." My eyebrows shot up.

"You... want to meet him!?" I asked her carefully.

"Well, eventually yes. Whenever you're ready. I want to know if he's good enough for my baby," she said with a small chuckle. I shook my head.

"I think...that would be nice. I'd love for you guys to be okay with him," I told her. "Um, how's Dad?" She bit her lip.

"I think...I think you should give it a little more time, but don't worry. He'll come around, I know it," she replied.

I was disappointed in my father when she said that, but at the same time, I was determined not to let that get in the way of all of the weight that I felt like was lifted off of my shoulders. I was so glad my mother was coming around. I had to admit I was a little surprised she already wanted to meet Tyce but if we were going to make things better between us, I suppose that was going to have to happen eventually.

"What's his name?" My mom asked, pulling me out of my thoughts. I looked down at her, directly in her eyes.

"Tyce," I said.