CHAPTER TWENTY TWO

I woke up the next morning, my eyelids flipping open. In my sleepy haze it took a moment for me to realize that the sun was already streaming through the trees and shining brightly into the tent, which meant it was late morning.

I sat up, looking around. Tyce wasn't there anymore, so I assumed he was already outside. I felt hot and sticky as there was no circulating air in the tent. I reached over for my bag and pulled out my phone. It was 10:05. I put a hand against my forehead, brushing my hair back and running my fingers through it. I had never slept this late since we'd been here.

Then came another realization, causing my eyes to widen slightly. I was naked. The memories from last night came rushing back to me as I quickly slipped into a new pair of boxers. I pulled on some dark blue shorts and a faded grey shirt. I found some socks and slipped them on my feet before slipping on my shoes and unzipping the flap.

The light breeze brushed against my face and immediately I felt relief. It felt so much better than it did inside the tent. I zipped up the flap so that only the screen part was up, which would hopefully allow some air in.

I walked over to the fire pit area, and nobody was around. I glanced over at the water spigot, and nobody was there either. What the hell? I thought as I turned around and made my way over towards the other tents.

"Tyce? Hadley? Guys?" I called. Zaiden's tent had the screen open and I peeked in. Nobody was inside. I made my way across, through some trees over to the tent Hadley now shared with Paisley. Nobody was in there either.

"Where is everyone?" I muttered to myself. I ran back to my tent as I realized I hadn't brushed my teeth. After fetching my toothbrush and some toothpaste, I quickly ran down to the water spigot and completed my daily routine. Once that was done I ran back to the tent and dropped my things back into my bag.

I sat there for a moment, thinking. Maybe they all went to the lake? After exiting the tent I hurriedly set off down the path towards he lake, feeling slightly pissed off. Why did everyone leave me by myself? I can't believe I slept in so late.

As I got closer I heard laughter and people talking. By that point however, I was really pissed off. I rounded a corner in the trail, and seeing the lake below, I was able to make out Paisley's red hair and Zaiden's dark skin. They were both laughing and talking and once I got a clearer view I could see Hadley, April, and Tyce talking with them in the water. I stopped from where I was on the trail, feeling somewhat left out. I contemplated whether or not I should continue and join the rest of the group, or if I should turn around and head back. I felt slightly groggy from sleeping for so long and on top of that I was upset that they left without me.

I turned around, walking back down the trail once I knew for sure that none of them saw me. Nothing good would come from me heading down there right now, I was too upset, because you know, feelings. I shook my head and kicked at some rocks as I briskly made my way back to camp.

I tried to tell myself that I was overreacting, which I probably was. But at the same time, I couldn't help how it made me feel, and I needed some time to just cool off. I started to despair and really wished I could just go home right now. I found a spot not far from camp, next to a rock between some trees to sit, so I did and closed my eyes, taking a deep breath.

As my thoughts swirled around, I found myself thinking about last night again. How much I had enjoyed it, how nice it was to let myself go, but at the same time, how much I regretted it now. It shouldn't have happened. Tyce and I hardly knew each other and I was not going to just be a fun time to him. Not that I exactly wanted or needed a relationship either.

I put my face in my hands. I don't know what the hell I want, other than to get out off here at the moment. That would be nice and save me from feeling pathetic. I mentally counted how many days we'd been here. Let's see, we arrived Monday afternoon, and it had been like 5 days. That meant we still had today and all of tomorrow before leaving.  I sighed, feeling like an outsider as I thought about them all laughing and having fun without me. I always struggled with making friends and it just hurt. Maybe I was too sensitive but I couldn't help how I felt.

My stomach growled, pulling me out of my thoughts. I told myself I didn't care that I was hungry, I didn't feel like eating. I folded my arms, pulled my legs up to my chest and rested my chin on my knees. 

After what seemed like forever, I finally heard voices off in the distance and figured they were all coming back to camp. Fortunately I still had my phone with me so I checked the time again. Holy shit it was 11:15. They couldn't seriously have thought I was still asleep all this time could they?

"Griffin!" I heard Hadley call.

"Hey Griffin where'd you go?" I heard Zaiden shout, his voice sounded farther away.

"Griffin!" Came Tyce's voice.

I started to tune them out. Maybe they'd think I ran away. I ran my fingers through my hair before deciding to go back. I got back on my feet and slowly wandered through the trees. I thought I heard a twig snap so I whirled around, but there was nothing.

I continued walking and eventually my tent came back into view. I could make out some of the group sitting on the log over my the fire pit. Nobody seemed to have noticed me yet so I slipped inside the tent.

After digging around in my bag for a moment I found the shampoo and shower gel I had brought and slipped back outside, a towel slung over my shoulder. Without so much as a glance in there direction I walked towards the trail to the lake.

Nobody apparently noticed because I didn't hear anyone coming after me and nobody had said anything. I rolled my eyes in such annoyance and hurried down the path. This was actually a good thing, I told myself. I wanted some time alone.

Soon enough I reached the spot where everyone had stopped earlier. The lake looked exactly the same as it did the last time I was here. They weren't exactly the best memories, unless my first kiss with Tyce could be considered good. At this point I honestly didn't know and it was exhausting trying to figure it out.

I looked around for a moment to make sure nobody had followed me, then I set my towel down on a decent sized rock, along with the bottles I brought. When I didn't see anyone I pulled my shirt off and slipped out of my shorts. I paused and glanced around again. Nobody was here. I quickly slid my boxers down, stepped out of them, picked up the shampoo and shower gel and ran towards the water.