CHAPTER ELEVEN

Tyce pulled back as suddenly as I had pulled him in. My eyes fluttered open and I blinked a couple of times, searching his face. He had a confused look.

"I'm sorry," I said, distancing myself from him more. "I shouldn't have done that." He shook his head.

"No I shouldn't have," he replied. I bit my lip. I wasn't going to lie it kinda stung a little to hear him say that. I nodded my head slowly. "I just...I-I don't wanna complicate things."

I nodded quickly in understanding even though inside I was super disappointed. He rubbed his hand on the back of his neck nervously.

"Yeah I mean, I barely know you," I said before I could stop myself. "And I didn't plan on coming out to everyone here." He furrowed his brow and looked at me.

"Nobody knows?" He asked.

"Uh other than Hadley and maybe Paisley, no."

"Why?" He asked, I shrugged.

"I don't- I don't know I just don't feel the need to tell everyone about my sex life. Nobody else has to," I said, a defensive tone taking over my voice. "I mean I didn't even know you were gay so.."

"What if I'm not?" He asked hesitatingly. I rolled my eyes.

"You know what? It's fine," I said, waving my hand dismissively. "I just..I um. I don't even want to talk about this anymore. I'm gonna go," I said, pointing towards the shore.

I started swimming and when it was shallow enough I stood up and walked the rest of the way. When I got out of the water I realized I hadn't brought a towel so I grabbed my shirt off the stump, but rather than put it on I just held it and walked back up the path without looking back to see if Tyce was following.

"Hey how's it going?" Hadley interrupted my thoughts as she appeared in front of my on the path. "Everyone's just on our way do-"

"Stop okay? Just stop," I cut her off. She looked flabbergasted.

"What? What happened? What's going on?" Hadley asked worriedly.

"Nothing. It's fine. I forgot a towel so," I said, trying to walk around her. She grabbed my arm.

"Griffin, what's wrong?" She asked sternly. I wrested my arm away.

"Nothing okay?" I reassured her as Paisley and April appeared with Zaiden and Jordan following close behind. "You guys have fun. I'm gonna go dry off," I muttered the last part as I walked away from them. Hadley just stood there while everyone else watched, probably wondering what just happened.

I was pissed but trying to keep it contained. I scrubbed a hand over my face. I mean what was I thinking? Oh wait, I wasn't. Besides it was Tyce's fault not mine. I was perfectly fine with just talking. He didn't have to go and kiss me and then get cold feet. Whatever, it happens all the time. People kiss right? It's no big deal. I sighed deeply as I made my way back to camp.

Alex and Sam passed by me but neither one of them said anything and I kept my head down. It was super awkward and I was glad it lasted only a couple seconds.

When I got back to the tent I quickly unzipped the flap and slipped inside. I found my shorts and and quickly slipped into them, pulling my shirt on afterwards. I grabbed one of the books I had brought in one hand and I took my wet swimming shorts in the other and laid them on top of the tent to dry.

I hurried off to find a quiet spot to read and be alone. Some people never understood why anyone wanted to be alone. But sometimes it was soothing to take a break from people. Any time I thought about what happened I mostly just felt embarrassed and confused. I really shouldn't have given in. I should've pulled away when he got close to me.

I found a rock that was fairly large and nestled between some trees and large bushes and determined it was a suitable spot.

About an hour later, I heard voices. They probably were everyone returning to camp since I wasn't that far away. I strained to hear what they were saying but I couldn't make out the words. Eventually I heard footsteps.

"Griffin?" Hadley called. I rolled my eyes. Sometimes the girl just didn't know when to stop. Wasn't your best friend supposed to know you better than anyone? By now she probably at least heard Tyce's version of events probably. "Griffin?" She said again. This time her footsteps were closer. "There you are, finally!" She exclaimed as she stepped into view. I didn't look up from my book. She came over and hopped up on the rock next to me. "Dinner is gonna be ready soon. We're having burgers," she said, clearly trying to cheer me up. I looked up, closing my book.

"Okay, let's go," I said flatly. She looked confused but followed me anyway as I slipped off the rock and made my way back.

The others watched me intensely as Hadley and I grabbed our plates and started dishing up.

"So, Paisley did you guys go swimming?" I asked, trying to make conversation. She looked surprised.

"Uh, just- just a little," she replied, looking from me to Hadley.

"Oh cool. How was the water? It was a little cool when I was there," I said. She looked around a little before replying.

"It was about the same I guess," she said. I walked with her and Hadley over and sat down. Tyce was nowhere to be seen and neither were Jordan, Alex, or Sam.

"Where is everyone?" I asked to nobody in particular.

"Chloe and Brooke don't like burgers, and I don't know where the guys are. I think they might've ate already," Izzie answered as she sat down. Just then Zaiden came walking over and started making himself a burger.

"Where is everyone else Zaiden?" April asked as she walked up beside him to get her own food. Zaiden shrugged.

"Guys are over at the tents I think," he muttered before joining everyone else. I couldn't help but roll my eyes. This whole thing was certainly ridiculous. I sighed loudly, causing Zaiden to look over at me. "So what exactly happened to make things so weird around here?" He asked, raising his eyebrows at me expectantly. I shot him a look.

"Um, Zaiden I don't think that-" Hadley started to say before I interrupted her.

"He kissed me, that's what happened," I said flatly. April's jaw just about hit he ground while Paisley looked at her plate as did Izzie and Hadley while Zaiden just looked confused.

"I'm sorry, what?" He asked, looking dazed almost. my face fell and I quickly covered it with my hands and huffed loudly.

"You need me to spell it out Zaiden? I'm gay," I said, putting emphasis on the word, "and Tyce decided to kiss me." I went to get up from the table.

"Oh, well that's- that's- that explains a lot," Zaiden said, stopping me from leaving. "Hey...It's okay."

"Okay, um. I wasn't expecting that," I paused for a second, "but yeah that's what happened, so uh, things are awkward and I'm sorry," I told him. He gave me a half smile.

"It's nothing that can't be fixed dude. Let's just eat okay? Things will be better tomorrow," he reassured, putting his hand on my shoulder. I obliged and sat down again, briefly exchanging a glance with Hadley before returning to my food.