CHAPTER TWENTY NINE

I tugged my clothes on slowly, as if I didn't have the energy to do it quickly. I ruffled my drying hair and made sure it looked decent, satisfied with it and the grey shirt and dark grey shorts I had selected to wear. I let out a big sigh as I glanced around the room. I made sure everything was picked up and orderly so that Zaiden wouldn't have to worry about it later. I doubled checked my bag, making sure I had everything so that nothing would get left behind. As I zipped up the last pocket, there was a knock on the open door frame. 

"Well it's back to the regular routine already," Hadley sighed as she leaned against the door frame. I nodded, frowning slightly. "Are you sure you're okay?" I looked over at her.

"Oh yeah. I'm fine, just making sure I have everything," I told her, scanning my eyes around the room as if I hadn't already checked. 

"Where's Tyce?" She asked, looking at me curiously. I shrugged.

"I think he's the last one to shower before we leave," I replied, looking at my bag. 

"So...I don't wanna pry or anything. Well, actually as your friend it's my job to be nosy so I'm just going to ask anyway," Hadley babbled. "Do you like him? Why don't you ask him to be your boyfriend?" I rolled my eyes in annoyance. 

"Why is it that we can't seem to talk about anything else but this anymore?" I asked, an edge to my voice. Hadley bit her lip. 

"I'm just interested," she rolled her shoulders a little. "I mean, you've watched me have boyfriends and you've listened to me talk about them and stuff and I just want you to be able to have the same thing."

"Look," I said, drawing in a breath and letting it out. "I know, that you are just looking out for me, but really, we don't need to discuss everything all of the time. I'm just not in the place right now to have this conversation." 

"Why not?" She asked sincerely. I looked over at the window away from her. "Grif I know you've been through a lot. I just want my friend," she said, her head dropping. 

"Hadley..." I replied, rubbing my temples. "I just...I don't even know what Tyce and I are. I haven't talked to him about it. I mean we're just friends, but then he acts all cute and caring and we've kissed and stuff so I don't know.." I trailed off. 

"Well why don't the two of you talk about it?" She asked. 

"Why do you care so much?" I asked, exasperated. She shrunk back.

"I just care about you," she said after a long moment. She turned and walked out of the room and I let her. I sat down on the edge of the bed. It felt like even I couldn't sort out my own emotions, let alone explain them to someone else. I didn't ask Tyce about him and I because I was unsure of myself and didn't want to be embarrassed. I also felt somewhat like he was just looking out for me since he saved me and maybe that's all it was. 

My thoughts continued to swirl together, blending with the fact that I wasn't looking forward to eventually telling my parents about what happened when I got home, not to mention that if Tyce and I were to develop into something more, certain conversations would end up taking place with them about it and I just wasn't sure I was ready for that. It was hard enough to talk to Hadley about it, and fortunately Zaiden and April had been fine with it, as well as Paisley. Jordan and the others hadn't seem to take it too well though, and with my family there was a whole other layer to their reaction. Since I still lived with them because I was attending college, the last thing I wanted was a negative response. I don't know that they would kick me out, but I pondered the possibility of my relationships with them being forever changed, making things awkward and uncomfortable at home which I just wasn't ready for.