CHAPTER TWENTY SIX

We laid like that for a while in peaceful silence, just enjoying each others company. I really couldn't wait to get out of this bed though since I was feeling just fine. Luckily I would  be released soon. Suddenly there was a knock and the door slowly slid open. 

"Everything ok in here?" Hadley called, "Or do I need to avert my eyes?" She giggled to herself as I rolled my eyes. 

"Hadley!" I exclaimed. She kept giggling as she came in the room and Tyce sat up, returning to the edge of the bed and putting some distance between us. I felt a little sad as I could no longer feel his touch, but redirected my attention to Hadley anyway. 

"So, are you ready to get out of here?" She asked, her eyes examining me closely. I nodded. 

"Yeah I feel fine now," I replied. 

"I should've been there," Hadley said, dropping her head and looking downcast. 

"Hey," I said quietly, forcing her to look up at me once more. I shook my head. "Everyone fights. I don't blame you." She bit her lip and moved closer to the bed. 

"I can't thank you enough," She told Tyce, looking over at him. He smiled a little. "You saved my best friend."

"I just did what anyone would've done," He answered, shrugging a little. "I'm just glad everything turned out okay. We're really lucky." I nodded and sighed loudly, feeling more than a little stupid. 

"Where did the others go?" I asked, changing the subject. 

"They're in the waiting room," she said. 

"Well they can come in if they want," I replied, yawning a little. Just then a nurse came opened the door and entered the room. 

"Hey how's everything going Griffin?" She asked. She was a shorter lady who looked to be in her 30s, her long brown hair pulled into a ponytail.

"Feeling fine. Just tired," I replied, watching her as she started typing on the computer that was next to my bed. 

"No aches or pains?" She asked without looking away from the screen. 

"No," I replied. "I did have a headache but it's going away."

"That's good. It looks like everything is just fine," she told me. I noticed she was chewing gum. Then she turned to me, pushing one of the buttons above my head. She poked my IV bag. "We can probably take this out now and get you ready to be discharged." My face brightened, and she smiled warmly at me. 

"I'm glad to hear that," I told her. 

"Me too. So I'm gonna go get the doctor, have her check you one more time and then you'll be free," she chattered happily. I smiled. "You can change into some clothes if you'd like. She'll probably come in the next 15 minutes or so." I nodded, but then suddenly became aware that I didn't have my clothes. I had only been wearing shorts when I was swimming so that's probably all I had when I was brought in. Hadley must've sensed my question because as the nurse slipped out of the door she spoke up.

"Griffin we've got your shorts. But since they were wet and dirty I figured you'd want some clean clothes so I had Zaiden bring your stuff," she explained, motioning over towards the small couch in the far corner of the room. My black bag was sitting there on one of the cushions. 

"You guys went back to camp?" I asked. 

"When I rode with you, Hadley and the others stayed and packed up camp before meeting us here," Tyce explained.

"Oh," was all I said. As much as earlier today I felt like going home and ending the camping trip early, now that it was actually happening it made me sad. I ran a hand through my messy hair. "Well, since I get to leave soon, I'm gonna go change." I slipped out of the covers. 

"Do you need help?" Hadley asked, coming over to me as I swung my legs over the edge of the bed. I chuckled.

"I almost drowned Hadley. I'm not recovering from a major surgery or something," I told her. 

"Right," she said curtly. I gave her a look. I put my feet on the ground and carefully stood up for the first time since arriving here. 

"You ok?" Tyce asked, an edge of concern to his voice as I took my time. 

"Yeah I'm fine," I replied as I slowly made my way around the bed and to my bag on the couch. I picked it up and opened the door next to the couch, which led to a small bathroom. "I'll, er..just be a minute," I mumbled, slipping through the doorway and shutting the door behind me. 

I stepped up to the mirror, taking in my appearance for the first time in a while. Wow I looked like shit. I guess that was to be expected after nearly drowning. Plus, no matter what, nobody looks their best in the hospital. I unzipped the zipper pocket on my bag, quickly selecting some blue and black boxers and slipping them on. I grabbed a pair of black sweatpants and pulled them on. I then opened another pocket and fumbled through a couple shirts before deciding on a red Coca Cola shirt I had brought. I pulled off the hospital gown and slipped the shirt over my head. 

Returning to the sink, I turned on the faucet, staring at the water for a long moment. It was a subtle reminder of what had happened just a few short hours ago, and a shiver ran down my spine. I quickly ran my hands under the water and tried to fix my mess of hair on my head so that it at least didn't look like I was homeless. Once I was satisfied I grabbed my bag and reached for the door handle. 

"Feel better?" Hadley asked as I reappeared in the room. 

"I feel fresher than ever!" I said sarcastically, eliciting a grin from Tyce.

"Knock, knock," Zaiden said as he opened the door and entered the room. 

"Hey guys," I said as Paisley and April appeared behind him. 

"Wow Griffin you look so much better!" April said happily.

"Gee thanks," I replied with a smile. Her cheeks flushed. "I'm just teasing." 

"You must be feeling better if you're being all sarcastic," Paisley added. Everyone smiled. 

"Thanks for being here guys. I'm sorry about the trip," I told them. "I mean if you want we can stay for another day..." I said, looking around at each of them. There were a couple glances amongst themselves. 

"It's totally fine dude. Don't worry about it," Zaiden piped up. "I'm just...so grateful you're alright. You had us all quite worried." 

"Yeah, well I don't plan on swimming anytime soon," I said a little glumly. Tyce put a hand on my shoulder. 

"There's no rush Grif," he said softly. I gave him a small smile. 

"How's everyone today?" Dr. Wilson said as she entered the room with a smile. "Griffin. I'm glad you're doing better. The nurse told me everything looks fine. Can I have you sit for a minute?" She asked, motioning towards the bed. I complied, quickly sitting down on the edge of the bed. Tyce, Hadley, Zaiden, April, and Paisley sat on or stood over by the couch out of the way. Dr. Wilson put her stethoscope up to her ears. "Can you lift your shirt please? I just want to check you one more time." I did as she asked and flinched slightly when the cold round instrument touched my skin. "The stupid thing is always cold," she said, chuckling a little. "Deep breath please." I breathed in deeply, then exhaled as she instructed. Then she moved the instrument to my bare back. "And one more time," she added. I took a deep breath again, then slowly let it out. "Alright Griffin. You are good to go young man," she told me with a smile. "Please remember to be more careful alright?" 

"I will," I replied sheepishly. Tyce came over carrying my bag, the others stood up behind him. I reached out to take it from him. 

"It's ok Grif, I got it," he told me. 

"You sure?" I asked. He nodded.

"Well, let's get out of here," I said as I let out a sigh. "I'm wiped." 

The last thing I remember is making it into the backseat of Zaiden's SUV and falling asleep on Tyce's shoulder.