Chapter Five

Alex stepped out of the bathroom of Sans and Papyrus' house, dressed in the clothes he had fallen down in. He was refreshed, it was early, and he was ready to go. He descended down the stairs into the living room, where he found Papyrus there waiting for him, to his surprise.

"Just had to see me off, didn't you?" Alex asked. Papyrus stood, and nodded silently. Alex walked to Papyrus and held his hand out. "Take care of yourself." Alex said. Papyrus shook Alex's hand, sighing under his breath. "Be careful out there, Alex." Papyrus urged. "Don't worry. I will." Alex reassured.

"I mean, unless you wanna stay here a little longer. We could hang out some more..." Papyrus attempted half-heartedly, already knowing the answer. Alex shook his head. "I can't." "I know..." Papyrus sighed sadly, loud enough for Alex to hear this time.

Papyrus pulled Alex to him for a hug, which, after some shock and hesitation, Alex returned. "I hope to see you a again...friend." Papyrus said hesitantly. "Me too." Alex stepped back with a smile. "So we are friends then?" Papyrus asked. "I thought you knew that already." Alex said with a chuckled. Papyrus grinned.

Before Alex left, Papyrus gave Alex his phone number. "In case you need help." Papyrus said. "Sure thing. You can also call anytime, in case you get worried and wanna check up on me for some peace of mind. I'll answer when I'm able." Alex said. Papyrus nodded. "Thank you." He said. "No, thank you." Alex said with a small smile.

With that, Alex left the house, and began down the lonely path that would eventually lead him to Asgore's castle...

***

As Alex's legs began to feel a little weary from so much walking, he began humming and even singing some songs to himself to keep his spirits up. He deliberately chose songs that reminded him of Jasmine. It made him miss her terribly, but even though it ached, the memories he associated with the songs came back to him, and he found himself smiling anyway.

"Zzzzzz...zzzzz..."

Alex stopped. He found himself at the entrance to a new area of dark caves and beautiful glowing blue flowers. However, he couldn't continue forward, because on the ground in front of his feet, the appearance of what appeared to be a white ghost was laying on the ground, saying 'z' out loud and pretending to sleep.

"Um...excuse me. Hello?" Alex said, tapping his foot. The monster rose and faced Alex. "Oh...hello...am I blocking your way...?" It asked with some shuddery anxiousness. "Yeah. Is...is something wrong, dude?" Alex asked with folded eyebrows. He was concerned. "No..." It answered quietly, moving aside. "Thanks." Alex said, walking past it...

...then stopping...

...then turning around, because he felt bad.

"Hey, what's your name?" He asked it. "Napstablook." "Napstablook. Nice to meet you. I'm Alex." "Alex. That's a nice name." Napstablook said slowly, with some uncertainty. "Would you like to come with me on my walk for a bit?" Alex offered. Napstablook perked in surprise. "You...want me to come?" "Yeah. I could use the help. I don't know anything about this area." "O-okay. I'll try not to be a burden." Napstablook said, floating in step behind Alex as he started to walk. "You won't be." Alex said. Napstablook smiled a bit.

"So, do you live around here?" Alex asked Napstablook one they'd gone down the path a bit. "Yeah. My house is just down the path. I lie to lay around the outskirts and look up at stuff." He said in his own slow pace. "Like the stars?" Alex asked. "Sometimes." He answered simply.

"You have friends?" Alex asked. "Well... Undyne comes around once or twice. She's my neighbor... She isn't much of a talker...she's a yeller...she likes to play loud music to keep her energized..." Napstablook said slowly. "Ah." Alex said, finding his description to be very odd. He decided to play music from his phone.