Chapter Sixteen

Temmie led the five into Temmie Village. All the other Temmies were running rampant, tripping over each other as they fearfully tried to escape some unseen pursuer. Temmie gasped.

"My shop! Iz ruined!" She shrieked. Indeed, the Tem Shop, along with several other Tem homes, had been destroyed in the chaos.

"Guys, get the Temmies to safety! Jasmine, you with me," Alex instructed, quickly taking control. Everyone besides Jasmine scattered, doing their best to round up all the frightened Temmies. "Listen for someone." Alex said quietly.

The Tem Village became quiet. An eery soft wind blew through the town, but all was still quiet...

ROOOOAAAAGHHH!!!

Alex and Jasmine both flinched. "What the?!" Alex reacted.

Alex hurried to the Tem Shop, where a small furry projectile hit him in the chest with enough force to knock him onto his back. Jasmine ran over to him, taking the Temmie from his chest. She handed it to Sans as Alex slowly got up.

ROOOOAAAAGHHH!!!

In the Tem Shop, Alex could see the creature that was terrifying the Temmies. It was a frog monster, a Froggit, with square two-dimensional boxes that looked to be composed of ever-changing multiple-colored boxes attached to its flesh.

It roared again, stumbling and lunging at anything close to it.

"What're those things on it?" Jasmine asked.

"I don't know, but they're making it go crazy." Alex answered.

The Faulted Froggit caught sight of Alex and Jasmine. Their SOULs appeared, and they were initiated in a Fight. Their choices appeared before them. The Faulted Froggit screeched, and the boxes attached to it shot out at them.

With little time to react, Alex and Jasmine could only duck. The boxes attacked their choices, then returned to the Froggit. It leaped up clumsily as the boxes reattached themselves.

Alex and Jasmine stood. Their Mercy option now looked like one of the boxes attached to the Froggit. Alex attempted to choose it. His hand felt a burning sensation on contact. "Agh!" He cried out, quickly pulling his hand back. Jasmine attempted the same thing, with a similar result.

Alex chose Act. His choices were Check and Reason. Alex chose Check. The Stats read:

Attack: ~~
Defense: ~~
Cannot Escape.

The Faulted Froggit pounced on them. Alex and Jasmine leaped in opposite to dodge it. Its head turned back and forth to look at them. It seemed rabid. Jasmine took her turn, choosing Reason.

"Calm down," She spoke with soft soothing serenity, "We don't wanna fight you, and you don't wanna fight us, right?" She continued, taking a few small steps closer, "Just relax. We can figure this out peacefully." Jasmine extended her hands out slowly.

The Faulted Froggit turned fully towards Jasmine, roaring again with a strain of agony in its throat. It attacked Jasmine with a volley of boxes. Jasmine threw herself to the floor. Alex reached back into his First Aid pouch and pulled out a switchblade. He needed to cripple this thing now.

His options appeared. He chose Fight. He rushed silently to the Faulted Froggit. It began to turn around. Alex lunged forward, clutching the knife in his right hand. It didn't move.

Alex thrust the knife into the Faulted Froggit's back. It pierced the flesh of the monster. Alex yanked the knife out. With a low croak, it fell to the ground.

It was now weak: in critical condition.

Alex helped Jasmine up. Shocked beyond words, she said nothing as he pulled her to the feet. They turned to the Froggit. Its breathing was rapid and labored, shallow and desperate.