Chapter Fifteen

"You invited the king here?" Alex asked Alphys, never taking his eyes off of Asgore.

"I know that you were fully prepared to face me at the barrier, but Flowey's reported interferences have changed the game." Asgore said, fully entering the laboratory.

"What're you here for then?" Alex asked cautiously.

"Your cooperation is necessary for us to stop Flowey from obtaining the SOULs. We must band together, or else we will all fall." Asgore spoke.

"And then?" Alex asked, still skeptical.

"Until then, you can trust me to do what's best for monsterkind." Asgore said firmly.

"Fine. Where are the SOULs?" Alex asked after making his decision to help.

"The SOULs are in the castle, in a room several floors down from the barrier." Asgore answered.

"Okay. You and Alphys should head there then. I'll round up the others." Alex said.

"I've already sent word out to all Royal Guard members. Undyne and the rest of them should be with me at the castle shortly.

"Who is it that you need to retrieve?" Asgore asked, wrapping his other hand around the staff of his trident.

"The other human, Sans, and Papyrus." Alex answered.

Asgore was silent for a moment, "... Very well. Work quickly." Asgore advised, nodding and stepping aside.

"Thanks." Alex said before running out of the laboratory.

Asgore lowered his trident, turning to Alphys, "Dr. Alphys, you're one of my most entrusted staff members. As the royal scientist, I respect your intellect and I value your judgment." Asgore started.

"Aww shucks." Alphys blushed.

"Tell me, can the human be trusted?"

***

"Mom! Mommy? Momma, help me!"

A little girl's voice echoed through the Ruins. It bounced off the cave walls and the rubble of fallen structures.

The sound made Toriel's ears perk. A child needed her help desperately. She hurried to it, following the child's cries to where humans would always fall from.

Instead of finding a girl however, she found a talking flower.

Flowey turned to her with a wicked smile, "Mother mother mother. Two little syllables you've allowed to dominate your whole life. Right? Haha. One little word and you're beaten into submission, Toriel."

"Who are you?" Toriel questioned, fire emitting from her palms.

"Ohoh yes, that's right. We've never had the pleasure of officially meeting before..." Flowey's wicked demeanor gave way to a happy and jolly front,

"Howdy! I'm Flowey! Flowey the flower! Heehee. Golly, are you lost? Oh, you must be so confused. What is it you wanna get back to so badly?" He asked with a sly raise of his eyebrow.

Toriel's hands began to clench, but she suppressed her anger. "Your stinging words don't hold power over me." She spat. Flowey glanced sideways at her.

"Are ya sure? You and I both know that words hurt just as much as sticks and stones. The final words of your dead loved ones. The humans that told you they were leaving you...

"Frisk's promise of peace, and his actions to the contrary. Words kill down here, child, and we both know the Underground's nature of killing." Flowey concluded.