Chapter Thirteen

Alex and Jasmine walked hand in hand to the elevator in Alphys' laboratory.

Alphys smiled and nodded to both of them, "This is the end of your journey now. Well, almost. You know what I mean." She said. They nodded.

"Thanks, Alphys, for all your help." Jasmine said.

"And for watching us." Alex added jokingly.

Their elevator came down, and quick goodbyes were said before Alex and Jasmine entered the elevator. The doors closed, and up they went.

"You seem nervous." Jasmine said, noticing his inability to keep still.

"Anxious. I've got these... I don't know, feelings in my stomach, I guess. I know the end is coming, but something just feels wrong. Unresolved. I don't know." Alex explained.

Jasmine squeezed Alex's hand reassuringly. The door opened, and they walked out onto the open balcony, high over the nearby city capital of monsters. They looked out over the lights of the city.

"How pretty." Alex said.

"Yeah. Reminds me of our trip to New York." She said.

"Haha. Yeah..." Alex sighed, his chuckle drowning away.

"What's wrong hun?" Jasmine asked him.

Alex sighed, "I had a conversation with Papyrus last night. It got me thinking about a few things. One: when we get back, I think we should try to make things up, rekindle things with our families." Alex said.

Jasmine paused, then nodded, "Alright. I've had my thoughts about that situation too."

"I'm glad you agree." Alex smiled.

"What other things were you thinking about?" Jasmine asked.

"One other thing. Papyrus asked me if I intended on freeing this monster race from the Underground. I said no. Now I feel as if I've changed my mind." Alex said, glancing at her.

"So we're gonna break the barrier then?" Jasmine raised an eyebrow.

"I read about when monsters were banished. After meeting the same monsters I've met, do you think it's fair to just leave them here?" Alex asked her.

Jasmine quickly shook her head, "No. Not after all their help."

Alex took her hand, "Let's go then."

She smiled as they began to run into the entrance of Asgore's castle. They ran up and up until the reached the Main Hall.

"It's just down this hall! Come on!" Alex said to her, pulling her along.

They huffed as they ran, but they were so close. A silhouette appeared before their paths suddenly, and the two stopped.

"Sans? What're you doing here?" Jasmine asked.

Sans didn't answer. He simply stood there calmly, with his hands in his coat pockets.

Alex stepped forward, "I gathered what you told me when we first met. You said: 'Everything would be taken to account.' That's what this is right? Judgement for our past actions?"

Sans shook his head, "That's not why I'm here." He said.

Alex and Jasmine glanced at each other, "What are you doing here then?" Jasmine asked again.

Sans sighed. His glowing blue eye appeared, "Where's Papyrus?" He questioned firmly.

"We don't know. We thought he was with you." Alex stood straight.