Chapter Eighteen

The elevator doors opened up, revealing a dull gray hallway. Everyone stepped out and looked around. The whole corridor was almost completely silent. Only light gusts of wind echoed off the walls. Alex swallowed and looked to his left.

He could see light. He walked towards it, and everyone followed him.

There was a shift amongst the group. Alex had felt it in the elevator. They'd all felt it. It was as if the higher the elevator had gone up, the more heavy their chests felt, and the more weight their mission seemed to really carry.

The fate of an entire race fell on their shoulders.

The six were now walking past an open view of the kingdom and the city below it. It was beautiful, and they all turned their heads in order to admire the grand sight...

But they didn't stop walking.

A silent dread and a solemn seriousness filled the corridor as the six went up the stairs. Each of their steps echoed around the giant hall. The wind blew insistently and yet softly, urging them along.

It was really beginning to sink in how close they all were to escaping...

They entered Asgore's throne room to find the Royal Guard spread all across the floor. Papyrus' gasp was the loudest.

"Oh no!" Papyrus exclaimed, running straight to Undyne. He knelt by her. She seemed okay, just knocked out.

"Mettaton, stay close to Jasmine." Alex instructed, kneeling by Undyne as well.

Papyrus and Alex gently sat Undyne up, holding her head and supporting her back. She slowly regained consciousness, and coughed.

"Where...where were you guys?" She coughed again.

"We hit a detour." Alex answered.

"Yeah, no kidding. So did we." Undyne's hand went across her stomach.

"What do you mean?" Papyrus asked. He and Alex helped Undyne get up to her feet.

"We were blindsided from behind. Flowey never showed up. It was Asgore who attacked us."

"Asgore?!" Everyone exclaimed in disbelief.

"Yeah. He snuck up and went crazy. He still hits hard for his older age." Undyne favored her shoulder.

"Oh, don't give him all the credit. I did help." Everyone turned to the back of the room, where the voice had come from.

It was Flowey, staring at them from in front of Asgore's throne.

"I'm getting sick of this." Alex grumbled, stepping in front of Flowey.

"Well well well, this is it, huh? End of the road." Flowey smiled.

"What is it that you want, Flowey?" Alex questioned. Flowey made a pretense of shrugging.

"Same as always."

"Why don't you just leave us alone if you don't wanna help us escape?" Jasmine asked, folding her arms. Flowey giggled.

"Isn't it obvious? I'm the villain of this story. Does it look like I need a reason? I'm sick of you humans coming down here, acting like you're the most important beings in the world.

"You all are disgusting idiots. It's repulsive how self-centered you all are. How dare you act like a kind individual? Ya'll are aggravating. Liars. I hate it!

"I hate how you think you can fool people. I've no SOUL, and even I'm not as ugly as you on the inside." Flowey rambled.

Alex shut his eyes and shook his head. He let out a long sigh of genuine disappointment.