Little Big >> Steve Rogers (Captain America) X Reader

Title: Little Big

Paring: Steve Rogers (Captain America) X Reader

Warnings: fluff, crack, avengers are a family, talk of preserum!steve, emotions, bed sharing, not naked but in underclothes, hurt!reader

Spoilers: Yes! Major spoilers for Captain America: Civil War

__________________________________________________________________________________

The first time you notice that Steve Rogers feels like a little man is after a serious debriefing after a botched mission in an island just off India. That day, you'd been walking past the glass office in the Avengers base to see Steve being reprimanded for his actions (saving a child and grandfather from a tank truck at the risk of another Avenger). He had been shaking. Like Fury's words were going straight through him.

That moment had struck you, and maybe it was because of the aftershock of the events, but it caused you to rethink exactly what you thought of the brave Captain America. Asking around was hard; everyone in the base knew him to be the legend of the 1940's, but Thor, who really liked his admirable courage, but that was granted. Thor liked everyone who wasn't trying to kill him.

The second time you saw Steve acting small was the day the power went out. Stark had rigged the new suit to the local power grid, and half a kilometer radius around the base lost their electricity. Thus, leaving F.R.I.D.A.Y nonoperational, the team in the dark that night, and you in the thing you hated more than wet socks in winter. Yeah, so what, you were an Avenger who wasn't too fond of the dark; everyone knew this, and that was why you had a moon-shaped night light to "scare off the monsters", as Clint's youngest put it.

"Steve?" you wandered to his room, feeling his decorations on the door. "Steve, are you awake?"

There was a grunt, and then the sound of feet and the door opening. "Yeah, I'm awake. I take it's the -,"

You grunt. "Yeah. Could I - I mean, it sounds weird, and you're a war hero and I'm less trained to be an Avenger than -,"

You feel his hand find yours, and lead you inside. "Everyone's afraid of something. Come on, you can have the bed."

At this, you recoil, almost slipping your hand from his warm grip. "Oh no, I can't do that to you, not in your own room, Steve," you whisper. "Your bed should be big enough, and I'm sure you can fight the dark if it comes to eat me."

You hear his chuckle. "Sure. But don't get the wrong idea, okay?"

As the pair of you find the bed in the dark, you come to the realisation once Steve is under the covers of two things: that it is a single bed, the sort you haven't slept on since you were a child, and second - that Steve believes himself to be much smaller than he is.

"Steve," you whisper, "I'll have to either sleep on you, or we'll have to...cuddle."

You can almost hear his blush. "I'm sorry, I forgot..."

Shaking your head, you go to lay beside Steve on what bed is left beside his muscles. "Don't worry, I won't tell anyone that I snuggled with Captain America."

Steve shook his head. "I forgot I was big."

You frown, drawing the covers around you. "Big? You mean, the serum?" your eyes widen, and you add, "Oh my gosh, I never thought! You were small for twenty five years, and then..."

Outside, the sound of rain paraded on the windows.

"I'll tell you in the morning if you sleep," Steve's voice rumbled in your ear.