Terrestrial >> Thor X Reader

Title: Terrestrial

Paring: Thor X Reader

Warnings: none! 

Spoilers: nope!

______________________________________________________________________________

By the time he returns, the clouds have disappeared and dissipated to another region to darken. There will never be a day where he stays. He is restless, he is a traveller at heart. By the time he returns, your shopping has been tucked into the cupboard, restocked and waiting to play house once more. The home is dusted. Clean. . Lawn mown. DVR cleared, up to date with more storage than ever before.

By the time he returns, you are passed out on the couch, the small lounge that faces the patio. He lets himself in with his tiny key, the rumble of his ancient truck not waking you. His gaze rests upon the goosebumps across your limbs, having never been truly accustomed to the chilled breezes he carries in his wake. You stir, just as he picks you up, and feel the butterflies that live in your stomach leap to life.

"Thor," you murmur. "I meant to -,"

He places a kiss upon your brow. "Hush, you need to rest. You've been busy."

If you were more awake, you might have fought back in a jesting, playful mood, but your eyelids are heavy, aching to feel the hand of sleep invite you into the land of dreams. 

By the time you wake, the bed is warm and full, and so is your hand. Your eyes do not have to be open to know that Thor's hand swallows yours, cupping it within his fingers, stroking your skin as ever-so lightly as the warrior can.

"Good morning, my love," he whispers.

Your chest leaps once more at his words; wherever did he learn to make your pulse race so? Your eyes focus on the room around you, but more importantly, on the blonde-haired man, roped with thick muscle, with the clearest eyes you had ever lain your own on.

"I almost can't believe you made it," you breathe. The air is cold, a cloud from your lips, but it means nothing but the fact that winter is coming, that autumn is here. "I remembered to stock up on instant coffee, and I fixed the tractor," you turn your hand in Thor's grasp, sliding your fingers through his.

"My love," Thor's eyes have another look to them. They're as expressive as the sky itself, and at the moment, the blue pupils are clouded by untold news. "I can't...stay long this time. There are tidings of war coming to my land. I'm sorry."

You nod, raising your gaze to the ceiling. "I understand, Thor."

You had been learned enough over time to hold in the disappointment that would otherwise weep out, seep into your mood. Thor was to be king, soon to be king. He was first and foremost a prince of Asgard, an Avenger, then your lover. Even though you had spent time with the other heroes, and were called his girlfriend, it still felt like he wasn't serious. To be honest, nothing did.

"_______-," his voice is deep, your name a rumble of thunder in his throat. "Look at me," he pleads. You comply, and he adds, "I know it seems like all you do is wait. A day shall come where you and I will be together. Always." He promises.

But you can only doubt.

By the time you are outside, it isn't to water the garden or clean the windows again. It's to see off Thor, this time not in his rusting truck, but with his armour and regalia, hammer in hand. The sky is clear, but his eyes, they are clouded with something deeper than what you feel you can comprehend.

He leaves as soon as he comes.

By the time you are outside once again, the sky has changed, bearing heavy clouds filled with rain. You've done your work for the week, and emailed your family in an idyl hour, and still, there is something in filling your days with things that feels so empty.