The Gentleman & The Lady >> Loki X Reader

Title: The Gentleman & The Lady

Paring: Loki X Reader

Warnings: music instruments, class differences, fluff, angst, hurt/comfort...

Spoilers: noooope

Requested By: AshliDinkelman

______________________________________________________________________________

The best days were those when the halls of the Allfather's palace were gleaming with the light of day, the glow of the golden spoils of war. It was these days, like today, when the rooms were full of chattering courtiers from all the nine realms, and beyond. Oh, those days were the most beautiful, you could see so many new faces, and never once feel the caress of boredom whilst peoplewatching. There would be neighbouring dukes and duchesses, lords and their ladies, retired bounty hunters and guests of honour, monarchs of all sorts, and merchants, too. The clothes they wore! The languages their tongues spoke in! Their laughter –

It was a reminder that it was more than anything you could ever dream of becoming.

Raised in the palace from the fellow waitstaff, you try to forget the days you lived before coming to the House of Odin to serve. Homeless, parentless, penniless, you had been abandoned by your own people, with your only possession being the clothes you wore, and the ability to sing. It was mere luck that the Allfather himself had ridden through the settlement on his return from the Bifrost, as a day more, you would be dead. But no, King Odin had taken pity on you, and plucking you from poverty, you were given to the working class within his ranks, and in return for shelter, you worked your skills in his halls.

At first, it was you, a wee child, singing. But there were always other singers, more profound, more loved. It was quite rascally that you had done this, in hindsight, but, one night when you were small, you had snuck into Queen Frigga's own hall of vestiges, and lay eyes on it. Later, you would find out its name was a harp. It was a Midgardian tool, a tool of music. But when Queen Frigga herself found you, staring at the instrument, she gave you one of her golden smiles, and in quiet words, gave you permission to play. Oh, it played fantastic sounds, and it was a pleasure to be a harpist, the harpist for the royal family themselves.

But it brings you to now. You sit in the corner of the festive celebration. Wearing your cheesecloth tunic and playing an instrument for the wealth and opportune present, it was quite humbling. You would never reach the heights of these people.

The occasion for tonight's festivities were unclear, yet, the celebrators celebrated on as if the stars in the sky had never been brighter, as if the liquor in their goblets had never been stronger. Mirth was strong, tonight, and over the chatter and laughter from the guests in the halls of Odin, your harp's tune was hardly heard.

Yet, you persevered.

"Your playing is beautiful, tonight, __________." Your friend Asta commented with a small smile. "If your fingers grow weary, might I suggest for Unn and Ylva to become tonight's entertainment?

Asta was a fellow servant, and, when she had been accepted into the ranks, you had become fast friends. She had come for work, when she had come; she had become a woman full grown, and in fear of the future and funds for her family. It was the only secure work she could find in Asgard, unless she wished to become a missionary within the religious ranks.

You ignore Asta. "We both know Unn and Ylva both have no talent, Asta. They would descend into a crude ballad the moment they had the attention of these people."