It Comes Back To You >> Clint Barton X Reader

Title: It Comes Back To You

Paring: Clint Barton X Reader

Warnings: THIS CONTAINS CONTENT ABOUT PREGNANCY, AND MISCARRIAGE. IF YOU HAVE ANY TRIGGERS FOR THIS, PLEASE KEEP SAFE AND DON'T PUT YOURSELF THROUGH THIS

Spoilers: might be some for Civil War? Canon is a little wobbly in my memory.

Request: For LegendaryRosePlayer, who wanted some Clint. Hope you like it!

________________________________________________________________________________

The week you found out that there was life within you, there had been an earthquake somewhere around the country. And it felt like a sign from Mother Nature -- or whoever steered your life when you needed to let someone else take the wheel -- that everything was changing. To be perfectly frank, it floored you - that the doctors had been wrong about the fertility tests, that your husband would have to take this news in, that he, a vigilante had children on the way.

Clint Barton never really wanted kids. It was just something about him that he'd decided perhaps from when he was a kid, when he went through all the shitty things that wrung him out to be the man you married. Sure, you'd always hoped, but ever since your experience going through the wringer -- as an ex-S. H. I. E. L. D. scientist who had been a part of one of the labs attacked by the Inhuman radical Jiaying with the Terrigen Mist, and forcibly transformed into someone who could walk through time -- it had rendered you unable to produce.

Until now.

But sure, the week you found out was fantastic, you couldn't stop freaking out about it, and how Clint Barton would find out about it because he was sure, an ordinary guy at first if you don't consider his grasp over archery and sarcasm, but he was an Avenger, and a good man. If there was a secret, he always, always found out.

It was just your horrible luck that the only person to confide in was not your husband of four years, however, but the guy who practically kept the Avengers base afloat in Upstate New York - the mechanic. Tony freaking Stark. It took a moment for the news to properly hit him, and then the poor bastard couldn't stop looking at your midsection, like you were a carrier of something holier than the team.

"But...but you can't," he frowned, eyes fluttering as he processed the news. "Your new anatomy just can't carry a child. Dr. Simmons and Cho were there as you came out of the rock, did the readings, it's not -,"

"But it is possible, because why else does the pee stick say plus and my mornings filled with sickness? And I can't be bloated all the time..." you bite your lip, harrowing away to make it probably bleed in your stress. "Clint and I married four years ago, knowing we'd never have children...the Hawkeye just doesn't want to bring up kids in this goddamned world, and my condition -," you feel your lip quake, and taste the tang of blood. You hated it when you worried on your lip, but it was the only thing which kept you grounded. "You can't tell him. Please, Tony, don't tell him."

The billionaire, playboy, philanthropist, Iron Man - best friend nodded ever so slowly, and resting a hand on your arm, agreed to your terms. "Sure. Hawkeye won't catch wind from me."

By horrible luck you actually meant completely and honestly good luck to have someone to talk to about the whole ideal and not just aloud to Friday, his computer system. But, by horrible luck you also meant horrible luck, because it had been seemingly ages since the team had gone out for their most recent mission (three weeks) and you really wished that you could look into Clint Barton's eyes and gush and cry about the confusion you were in.