16: AFTERMATH

*Elise's POV*

I woke up feeling horrible. I had pain everywhere. I finally opened my eyes to see Louis sitting next to me looking at a wall. I tried to say something but nothing came out. I squeezed his hand and he looked at me.

"Hey." He said.

I just smiled.

"You are probably wondering why you can't speak."

I nodded.

"Well, the girl punched your chest a little too much and she bruised you esophagus. So every time you talk it will come out air because it's trying to heal itself. The doctor said give it a month and it should be good as new." He told me.

I nodded again.

"The doctor gave you this dry erase board and marker so that you can communicate this was."

He gave the the board and marker. I wrote something down and showed it to him.

"Where's the others?"he read aloud. "Oh! They are in the waiting room. We all are taking shifts so I decided to go by my self while everyone else paired up."

I nodded my head. Then another question popped in my head.

"How's Niall taking it? Oh! Well, not so good. He's still confused and I think he told Harry. Then Harry told Isla, which isn't good because 6 year olds can say anything they want to people. So I think we might want to tell Liam soon." He told me.

Again, I nodded my head.

"How are you feeling? Does anything hurt? Other than your throat?" He asked me.

I wrote down on the board:

Everything hurts. Especially where the girl hit me but yeah, everything hurts.

"Can I ask you a question?" He asked

I nodded.

"Isla mentioned this and I want to find out from you. When you came home, did you noticed your bruises at all? Like did you know they were there? Did they hurt?" He asked.

I wrote:

I have a high tolerance for pain now since I've always been beaten up. I didn't notice the bruises until I was in the bathroom and then looked at them. Then the girl either knew I had them or she saw me looking at them, and then she got jealous and punched me over and over

"Oh. Okay. I will let Liam know about that, since you can't really speak."

I nodded.

"Okay. I think Isla wants to see you." He said about to walk out the door then remembered something. "Here's your phone. I had it so no one stole it. But I'm pretty sure you can't steal your own phone."

I smiled and wrote thank you on the white board. He left the room and soon Isla and Harry came in.

"How you feeling?" Harry asked.

I was going to say something but then remember I can't speak. So I wrote:

I'm not feel good but I've had worse. Everything hurts but I think that's what I would feel after what happened. It sucks that I can't speak.

"I'm sorry. I don't know how you can be so strong! You can pretty much go through anything!" He said.

"Yeah. Your strong!" I Isla agreed.

I wrote:

When you get used to it, you have a high tolerance of pain! I don't know how I didn't feel the break in my arm or broken ribs or sprained ankle but I guess I forgot the pain.

"Yeah. I don't want to bombard you with questions but I have one and I don't want to ask Louis." He said.

I nodded.

"Are you and Louis dating?" He asked.

I wrote:

Yes. We were trying to hide it for a little bit until stuff died down but I guess Niall can't keep his mouth shut.

"Yeah. Never trust Niall." He laughed.

I tried to laugh but it just came out coughs. I had a coughing fit for about 5 minutes and I was able to calm down.

"Are you okay? Do you want water?" Harry asked.

I shook my head. Then I wrote on my board:

No I'm fine. I just want to talk to Isla please

"Sure. I'll be out in the waiting room. When do you want me to send in Liam?" Harry asked.

I wrote:

How about just 15-20 minutes.

Harry nodded his head and left the room. I turned to Isla and we both smiled. Then I remembered something. She can't read. She can read some words but not all. I went to school for primary school but that's it. She hasn't gone to any school. Hopefully she can read what I write but all we can do is hope because I want this conversation just between her and I.

I wrote:

So. What has been going on since I came here?

She read it slowly and she frowned.

"Not that much. Your sissys' have been taking me to the food court and played with me but that's all. You've been sleeping for about 6 hours." She looked down at her hands. "I've missed you. It was hard not having you there while your sisters and I had fun."

I hugged her tightly. I feel bad that she felt this way. I must have put everyone in a bad position. When we let go I wrote on the board something to change the subject of sadness:

Hey, I'm really sorry. But are my sissys' nice? I didn't get to really meet them.

"Yeah. Their really nice! Nichola kept tickling me and Ruth and I played patty cake!" She said happily.

Then there was a knock on the door.

I was about to say come in but then remembered that I can't talk. I gave Isla a look and she hopped down from the bed and opened the door. There stood Liam and Niall, anxious to come in. They came in and Harry was standing behind them. Isla went up to him and turned back a round to look at me.

"Love you! Feel bettur plase!" She said.

I wrote:

Love you! <3 <3

Then Harry and Isla walked out and closed the door. I turned to Liam and Niall who were standing at the end of my bed.

I wrote:

Yes?

"Louis and Harry told us how you felt. I'm sorry your not feeling well. I knew I should have kept a better eye on you!" Liam said.

I shook my head and wrote:

There was nothing you could have done! I'm alive! I may be hurting but I will be fine!

He chuckled.

"That's what everyone has been saying-" Liam started.

"Because it's true!" Niall interrupted.

I smiled. All I want right now is to laugh. But I can't but I can talk a smile any day!

"Hey! Your smiling! That's good!" Niall stated.

We had some fun and I fell asleep after Niall and Liam left. I was SO tired. I just want to sleep and feel better.