Chapter 13: Human World

Mayu's P.O.V

"I'm doing this for you..."

I walked towards Guren's office, not even looking back. I didn't care anymore. This is what I had to do!

"Yuu-kun! I'm doing this to protect you!"

When I arrived at the door, I didn't even knock. I swung the door open, startling Guren. As soon as he saw me, his eyes widened.

"Mayu! How did you...?" He started to say, but I cut him off. "That's not important anymore. I need you to be quiet and listen." I stated bluntly. Guren looked at me, unsure of what was going on.

"I need to do this. I don't care how blunt I'm being! I don't care anymore, I'm done sitting on the side lines and watching helplessly!"

I bowed. "Lieutenant colonel Guren! Please teach me how to use my Cursed Gear affectively!" I shouted, clenching my fists.

"What? Why are you asking me? What exactly makes you think that I would be interested in helping you?" He asked. I gritted my teeth. "I'm asking you...because you are the only one I can rely on and also trust!" I stated, startling him.

I looked up at him. "I'm begging you! Last time I was on the battlefield, I didn't have the courage or strenght to protect my comrades from the vampires! I don't want that to happen ever again! I want to become stronger!"

I bowed once more, hoping he would listen to me. "So please, Lieutenant colonel, I want you to give me the training I never had!" Guren was silent for a minute, but eventually he sighed and got out of his chair.

"Alright, I'll train you." He said, sounding a little irritated. Suddenly he put his hand on my shoulder. "But..don't expect it to be easy." I nodded. "I don't expect it to be at all. But, I do want you to know this." I said, turning towards him.

"No matter what...I won't give up. No matter how many times you knock me down..I won't stop until I win."

Guren sighed. "Damn kid.." He mumbled as he walked out the door. "Your training starts now, so hurry up." I nodded and quickly ran down the hall to grab my scythe.

"Thank you...Guren!"
.
.
.

*Timeskip: a week later.*

Normal P.O.V

Shinoa swung her scythe at Guren, who was continuously dodged them. She gritted her teeth, this time calling out her demon.

"Shi-chan."

She swung her scythe once more, the demon getting ready to attack Guren.

"Lend me your powers, Mahiru." Guren said, drawing his sword. Shinoa flinched when she heard the name that was being called out.

Before the demon could attack Guren, he swung his sword, causing it to vanish. Shinoa soon appeared behind him, the blade of her scythe at his throat.

"Why'd you stop? Kill me if you want to." Guren said, causing Shinoa to grit her teeth. "Well, why didn't you dodge?" Guren sighed. "I don't mind if it's you who kills me."

Shinoa glared, gripping her weapon tightly. "As an atonement for the killing of Mahiru Hiiragi, my Onee-chan?" She gritted her teeth, angry.

"Falling into an unrequited love for you, she yearned for you,  got possessed by a demon, and then..." Shinoa said, feeling tears sting the corners of her eyes.

Guren turned towards her. "That's right. I killed her."

Shinoa pointed at Guren's weapon. "But my Onee-chan still lives inside that sword, right?" She gritted her teeth. "You're possessed by my sister. You completed the Cursed Gear and betrayed the Hiiragi family. Are you trying to use Yuu-san because my sister is telling you to?" Shinoa asked, her eyes narrowing.