Chapter 21: Traitorous Allies

Normal P.O.V

"O-Oi, this is a joke, right?" Kimizuki asked as he looked up at Shinoa. She shook her head, causing his eyes to widen. Was Yuu..

Was he really dead..?

Suddenly, Mayu let out this blood curdling scream, startling everyone. Shinoa went to grab her shoulder, but she lept back when Mayu was suddenly surrounded by thorn vines.

"What the hell..?!" Mitsuba asked as she drew her weapon. "Is this some sort of demon possession?" Yoichi asked, turning towards Shinoa, who had also drew her weapon.

She shook her head, completely petrified. "N-No. I've never seen a demon possession like this before! This is something different."

Mayu continued to scream, tears falling from her eyes. The five of them continued to watch as Mayu began changing inside the thorn vines. Her hair started to grow a lot longer, her ears started to elongate slightly, and her eye teeth became longer and sharper, almost like fangs.

What was happening?!
.
.
.

After a few minutes, the thorn vines around Mayu disappeared, leaving both her and Yuu out in the open. Mayu remained silent and motionless, like her body had just powered down.

"M-Mayu-san...? Are you okay..?" Shinoa asked as she slowly and nervously reached out to her comrade. Suddenly, Mayu stood up, gently laying Yuu's body on the ground. Shinoa saw a few tears fall from Mayu's eyes as she did.

"Is she okay?" Mitsuba asked. Shinoa shook her head. "I'm not sure. She isn't saying anything." Soon after, Mayu grabbed her weapon and started walking towards one of the windows, going back in the direction where they had fought the noble.

Shinoa's eyes widened and she grabbed Mayu by the shoulder, this time stopping her in her tracks. "Mayu-san! What are you doing you can't go--" She started to say, but she stopped when Mayu turned towards her.

Shinoa's eyes widened in horror and she froze, letting go of Mayu's shoulder. Her eyes...we're completely different from before.

They were the same color, but they weren't warm and gentle, they were completely cold and filled with sadness. It was like she wasn't even Mayu anymore.

"Don't get in my way.." was all Mayu said before she jumped out the window, running at full speed towards the city hall. "What was that all about?" Kimizuki asked, noticing the sudden change in Mayu's voice.

Shinoa shook her head, her hands trembling. "I-I'm not sure...but, some how..she's like a different person. And her eyes.."

"Her eyes were like that of a vampire...that was out for blood.."
.
.
.

"Spill it already. How did you guys gain powers like that?" Chess asked as she grabbed Guren by the head of his hair. Guren winced in pain and smirked. "A goddess gave it to me." He replied, his voice full of sarcasm.

Chess glared and punched him in the stomach, causing him to collapse. "Don't kill him, Chess." Horn scolded. Crowley nodded. "He's an important hostage, so handle with care."

"We should kill him. It's not like he's gonna give us any kind of information." Riza stated bluntly, catching their attention. She was huddled up in the corner with her knees pulled up to her chest, her long green hair spread out on the floor behind her.

Crowley sighed. "Now, now, just because you're in a bad mood doesn't mean we're gonna kill him." He stated, causing Riza to glare at him. "Why not? He's nothing but a liar!" She stated, her voice full of sadness.

"I know that for sure.."

Guren weakly looked up at her. "You know, I didn't exactly break our promise. I did keep her secret from the Demon Army, so I do deserve a thank you." Riza glared at him and came out of hiding.