Chapter 15: Ambition In The Demon Army

Mayu's P.O.V

I quickly shot up out of bed, sweat falling down my forehead. I fell back on my bed and covered my eyes with my arm.

"Dammit...not again! Why do I keep having that same dream?!"

It had already been a whole month since I had joined the Vampire Extermination Unit, and I kept having that same dream.

"Who is that Kimi girl? Do I have some sort of connection with her or something?"

Sighing, I got out of bed and looked out the window. What was going on with me? Why was that dream continuing to repeat itself?

"Can't sleep, can you?"

I jumped, almost knocking my things off the dresser. I didn't expect Konekomaru to just ask a question out of the blue.

"Jeez! Don't scare me like that ever again! I almost had a heart attack!"

Konekomaru sighed. "I didn't mean to scare you. I just sensed that you were uneasy, so I decided to check on you." I shook my head.

"No, no, I'm actually fine."

I tried my best to lie to him, but...that didn't work so well. "Don't lie to me. Something has been bothering you for the past month and I want to know what it is." Konekomaru said, causing me to look at the floor.

I didn't want to worry him, but what other choice did I have. He could actually help me if I tell him. Sighing, I decided to tell Konekomaru the truth.

"To tell you the truth...I don't know what this dream is, or why I've been repeatedly having it for the past month. I don't know what it means either.."

I put my back to the wall and pulled my knees close to my chest.

"It feels so real too, like...I'm reliving a past memory or something."

It felt like someone sat down next to me, and I quickly turned around, only to see no one was there. "Go on. I want to know more about this dream." Konekomaru said, sounding curious. I nodded.

"Okay. Well, the dream starts out like this:

"I'm sitting on the ground, surrounded by flames. I could see the torn pieces of what used to be vampire uniforms, and also the bodies of Demon Army soldiers."

"When I turn back towards the front, I see a woman, maybe three years older than me, protecting me from more vampires that had us surrounded."

"Konekomaru went completely silent, listening to what I was saying. I acknowledged his silence, and continued."

"She told me that she had failed to protect her squad, that she was the one who was responsible for their deaths. Then she turned towards me and told me that at least she could protect me."

"That's when I started calling out for her, telling her that what she was about to do was very dangerous and that she should stop. But before I can see what happens next, I wake up. If I remember right, I think her name was Kimi."

"I know that these aren't my memories, because I don't even know this woman. Another thing I noticed was that the weapon she had was a scythe, my scythe. And it felt like..."