Chapter 23: Arrogant Love

Normal P.O.V

"What's going on, Shinoa?" Kimizuki asked, finally regaining his breath. Shinoa shook her head. "I don't understand either." She said as she looked around the airport, seeing no rescue choppers in the area.

"There should be choppers for us to escape in." Mitsuba stated, starting to get a bit suspisous. Yoichi looked around as well, starting to get worried. "Forget helicopters, there isn't a single car out here."

Goshi turned towards Shinya, curious about the sudden delay. "Guren said that there'd be choppers for us to escape in." Narumi turned towards Shinya as well, his eyes narrowing.

"What should we do? The vampires are behind us. If we don't do something--" He started to say, but Mito cut him off. "Major general Shinya, the directive from the flight control room." She said as she handed Shinya the piece of paper.

Shinya hesitated to take it at first, but he eventually did, reading over it carefully. "What does the directive say?" Goshi asked, trying to get a look at the directive himself. Shinya's eyes and he sighed. "It says to stand by." He stated, causing everyone's eyes to widen in shock.

"You! Why are you still alive?!"

Rika slapped Shinoa in the face hard, causing her to stumble backwards a bit. Kimizuki and the others went to stop her, but Shinoa told them to back down.

"Yayoi, Kagiyama, everyone's dead because of you! So why are you still alive and kicking?!" She shouted, grabbing Shinoa by the collar of her uniform. "Because of you...because of..." Rika said, trying to hold back her tears.

Shinoa looked down at the ground, feeling guilty. "I'm sorry." She said, making Rika even angrier. "If you're gonna apologize, pay for it with your life!" She seethed as she drew her sword, the blade of the sword pointing at Shinoa's neck.

Kimizuki and the others went to help once more, but Shinoa stopped them again. "Please stop." She ordered, not wanting anyone to interfere.

"If you're gonna apologize...if you're gonna apologize so easily...give me back me friends." Rika said as tears fell from her eyes, her hands trembling. Narumi and Shusaku walked up to Rika, trying to comfort her. "Calm down a little. I'll take it from here." Narumi said, surprising her.

"But Makoto!" Rika exclaimed as Narumi walked towards Shinoa, grabbing his weapon. "I'm not saying I'm going to forgive them. "I'm saying, "I'll take it from here"." Shinoa glared at him, not about ready to lose her life so quickly.

She still wanted to make sure her comrades came back safe and sound.

"No, that isn't your job." Shinya stated, causing Narumi to glare and turn towards him. "Then will you punish them for siding with a vampire on the battlefield?" He asked as Mitsuba helped Shinoa up off the ground.

Shinya shook his head. "It isn't your job to decide if they get punished eith--" He started to say, but Narumi cut him off. "Then what will you be doing for us?!" He asked as he clenched his fists.

"We followed your orders and came this far. We lost our comrades and our commander, but moved forward without looking back! And look where it got us. Moreover, the top's order is to stand by. Are they telling us to die out here?!" Narumi asked, causing everyone to look down at the ground.

Shinya sighed. "Escape with the chopper and lure the vampires to the trap-zone, Shinjuku. That was supposed to be our mission, but it wasn't Guren that came up with it." He said. Narumi'seyes narrowed. "Then who was it?" He asked, starting to get a bit suspisous.

"Lieutenant general Kureto Hiiragi."

Everyone's eyes widened is both surprise and anger. Why would Lieutenant general Kureto Hiiragi come up with such a dangerous plan right out of the blue?