CHAPTER 22 - PARTING WAYS :/

CHAPTER 22

PARTING WAYS

MIA COLLINS

There's someone holding my shoulders and I immediately turn towards whoever it is.

"Hi James!" she shouts and releases her hand from my shoulders and throws herself into James' arms.

Oh my God!

It's her!

His ex.

"Hi" he says softly and returns the hug.

"Hi! I'm Valencia." She says looking down at me and holds her hand forward.

"Hi! I'm Mia. Nice to meet you." I say and give her hand a shake.

"Nice to meet you too."

"I'm James' old friend. I'm glad to meet him after a long time!" she says examining James' attire.

Old friend.

Really?

"You look super – cool! How are you doing?" she asks him.

He blushed.

"I... I'm fine. H.. How are you doing?" he stammers.

So uncomfortable around your ex, eh?

I smirk. It's so nice to see him like this.

They have a long conversation and I just keep staring at James.

Sometimes Valencia asks me queries like if we both go to the same school.

I learned that Valencia is in college.

Wow.

Okay, this conversation isn't happening on the dance floor. We'd moved to the parking lot in a slow pace because it's a lot quieter here.

"I came here because my sister is having her farewell tomorrow and I thought I could join this party with a few of my friends in the neighborhood. I just left them in. Come on, let me introduce the two of you to all of them." She said pulling us towards her friends from the parking lot.

She introduces us to all of her friends. Eight of them. Then I insist James on introducing her to Emma and the rest of his friends.

He does just what I said. Valencia seems to be really an outgoing girl. She patched up with everyone really quick. It's just so easy to make friends with her.

She might have made a great girlfriend to James.

And James looks upon her like she's his inspiration. The both of them are so adorable together but it's sad that they didn't keep their relationship going.

Maybe they could have had a long distance relationship.

Suddenly Valencia snaps me out of my thoughts with her warm hug.

"All the best for your summer and your senior year. I'll be waiting for you to invite me to your farewell, okay?" she asks. I nod my head and smile wide at her.

She hugs James and talks for a while.

Then we part ways.

She bids goodbye and pulls away from the parking lot with her friends. James and I drive away in James' Chev.

I really don't understand why Emma picks me up every time to the party when she doesn't agree to drop me home by herself. I would've brought my own car if not for her begging me to drive with her.

She wants what?

Somebody to accompany her to the party? Arghh. This is gross.

James turns on the music and there's Taylor Swift's 'Fifteen' banging through my ears. He reduces the volume and we listen to it as we drive away.

"Cause when you're fifteen,

Somebody tells you they love you,

You're gonna believe them.

Cause when you're fifteen

And your first kiss makes your head spin round but.."

I sing with the song absent-mindedly and suddenly when I realize that I'm humming with James sitting right beside me, I stop.

I flush.

God! Am I singing in front of him?

This is so embarrassing.

There's a warm palm on the back of my hand and I stiffen myself. I look at James and find him smile.

I blush.

"Why did you stop singing?" he asks me.

"Umm.. I.. I didn't really know the lyrics after that." I lie.

I know the entire song.

He raises his eyebrow in disbelief. I turn my gaze to the window to avoid some questions from him.

"Today was magical." He whispers and caresses my hand with his finger.

I remain quiet.

What am I supposed to say?

"Oops! Now tell me where I am supposed to take a turn!" he exclaims.

"The first left." I answer. He takes his hand from mine and turns the steering wheel. I guide him all the way to my house and finally we stop.

He places his palm on the back of my hand just the way he did before. This time he was looking at me with a charming smile.

"Happy summer. See you around." He says letting go of my hand.

Is that all he wanted to say?

"Happy summer." I say him and get out of the car.

He rolls down the window and I peep through it.

"Good bye." He says.

Is that it? Please say something more.

Don't go away.

"Good bye." I say him.

He rolls up the window and pulls away.

I wait there outside my house. The car is now out of sight and I walk to my house silently.

Disappointed.

A/N:

Poor thing. James should have said something special before leaving her, right?

Awful ending.

Continue reading to find what happens next!

Xoxo,

- Sindhu