22- Gift

Caitlin,
I love you so much. More than anything or anyone ever. It's been a tough year for you. You've been through a lot and not only that but hell for 3 years prior. You tear yourself down making me have to build you back up. I hate when you do that to yourself but I love being able to see the smile on your face when you feel loved again. I love so much about you, but I especially love how much you care about all of us. You care more about us than you do about yourself and despite the fact it hurts you to do that, I appreciate the effort you put into us being happy. I also admire how strong you are. Knowing you, you're thinking I'm crazy for calling you strong, but you've been through so much yet haven't stopped fighting. You have been through so much in your life but you're still here and happy with me and I can't help but love you for that. You are amazing and I hope you don't ever doubt that. Happy anniversary.

The luckiest guy in the world,
Sam

"Sammy, thank you. So much. I love you like crazy. I actually have one more thing for you. Dean helped me find it. He's had it but didn't know where it was. He and I found it a while back." I told him. I got the little box from the drawer in my bedside table.

"What is it?" I opened it and showed him a wedding ring.

"Dean told me that when you married me you wanted me to have your mom's ring. You had reasons behind it but he told me he didn't know what they were. You thought it was destroyed along with her. It wasn't. Your dad had it for a while, but Dean got his hands on it. He had it in the bunker but when the time came, he didn't know where it was anymore. We found it. This is her ring, Sam." He pulled it from the box and just held it. He looked at it with a weird expression. It was either the worst thing he'd ever seen or the best. A tear fell down his face and I was confused. He was a baby when she died. Why was he upset? I asked myself. "I'm sorry, Sam." I stated before walking out. I knew I upset him and I wasn't trying to. I sat at a table in the library. I buried my head in my arms. Suddenly there was a hand on my shoulder. "What do you want, Dean?" I asked.

"How'd you know it was me?"

"I can tell the difference of whose hand is on my shoulder. Now what's up?"

"Did you give it to Sam? Is that why you're upset?" He asked.

"He's looking at it like it's an awful gift and he lost a tear or two. That can only mean he didn't want that as a gift. He was a baby. He doesn't remember her much. I thought he'd appreciate the effort at least."

"Let me talk to him." I nodded. Dean came back out several moments later. "He wants to talk to you." I nodded and went in.

"Caitlin, come here." I rejoined him in bed. "I'm not mad at all. I love that you got this for me. The reason I was upset is because I was thinking about her being gone. I didn't know her. That's true, but I've heard enough stories that I know a little bit about her. Dean has told me a lot about who she was from what he remembers. It was making me wonder what she'd be thinking if she were here now. I was thinking about my life and how she'd react. I think she'd be proud of us. I think she'd be proud of you. I think she'd be proud of how strong you are and how loving you are and tell me how I've got a keeper. You should tell Dean to put the ring back where he had it so it stays safe. Thanks for showing it to me." He consoled. I was surprised at him saying I should put it back. He really thought I was just showing it to him.

"I wasn't just showing it to you. I was going to do what you wanted all along." I slipped my ring off and put on Mary's ring since it was the same size. I looked into his eyes. He was beaming and smiling happily.

"If you like your ring better, you don't need to wear hers. I'm not gonna be upset." He assured me.

"I know, Sam. I want to wear hers. She created the greatest guy in the world and she deserves to be remembered." He just gave me a smile. I gave him a kiss and toppled him over onto the bed from his sitting position.

"You really want to do this? You'd be ok with another kid?" Sam asked softly. "With our luck, that would happen."

"Yeah. Are you?"

"Yeah. I'm here no matter what." I nodded and let's just say sleep didn't really take either of us for quite a while.