25- Desires

We woke up in the morning one day and I felt the baby kick. "Sam. Sam." I whispered to the drooling Sammy asleep next to me.

"Yeah?" He asked as he woke up.

"The baby kicked. Give me your hand." I placed his hand on my belly and he felt it too. A smile crossed his face. We laid there together for a while before getting up for the day. It was a disgusting day. The sky was overcast and it was raining. We just did some research for the day and played with Diana a bit.

"Come on, babe. Let's get going so we can make it for our reservation."

"Shoot. Sorry. I almost forgot." I replied. I went and got changed as quickly as I could and we headed out. We took our seats at the semi fancy restaurant in front of a big window. I looked out the window at the rain coming down and got lost in thought.

"Babe?"

"Yeah?"

"You ok?" He asked.

"Just thinking." I replied.

"What about?"

"Do you ever think there might be more to this life than hunting and research?" I questioned. I believed there was but knew Sam probably wouldn't agree.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean like you can make more out of your life than hunt. You could get a real job, be a lawyer like you always wanted, have a house, settle down more, maybe have more time to spend with each other, that sort of thing. Have you ever thought about it?"

"I've thought about it before. It could never happen though. Things will hunt us down and threaten the safety of the kids and us. Why are you thinking about that?" I dreaded answering that question. I knew he'd be mad.

"Sam, I-"

"What can I get for you two?" The waiter asked. We ordered our food and neither one of us said anything more for a few moments. I awkwardly sipped my drink.

"Caitlin, I would hope you know that I'm not going to be mad at you expressing your opinions." He consoled, hoping I would talk.

"Sam, I want to settle down with you. I want a life again. I want to have the kids and Dean and everything but I want a life again. I had a life before I found you again, and I don't want that particular life, but I want a normal life. I want you to follow your dreams of being a lawyer, I want Dean to finally find the girl of his dreams, I want the kids to be able to go to school, I want what I never got. I want you by my side through it all and have a normal life with you. That's what I've dreamed of ever since we were kids. I want that. I know you don't. I know it's dumb to want all that after the life we've had, but I do."

"It's not dumb at all. I've wanted that too. I want everything that you said, but due to hunting our whole lives, we'd be attacked more than ever because they can all get in a house but not the bunker. I'm sorry I convinced you all those years ago to stay with us. You would have had a normal life."

"Don't you get it? I want a normal life but I need you in it. That's the problem!" I replied. I wasn't angry but more frustrated.

"Baby, calm down. It's ok."

"No Sam, I can't calm down. I've wanted this for years." I snapped.

"You know what? I can't do this anymore." He slammed his fork back down on his plate, grabbed his coat and walked out. I sat there and finished my food. I didn't want to walk outside and see the car gone so I stayed there for a while.