The Wing Ceremony

Taking a deep breath, you squeezed through the wooden posts that barred the cave entrance. The whole thing was exciting, but you had to admit you were a little on edge. No one ever dared to venture into the caves. The light quickly decreased, and strange smells and sounds reached your ears. As your eyes adjusted, you followed Link down the slope. The cave was damp, and you gripped the handle of your dagger tighter when Link drew his sword, "Follow me."

You didn't want to bother with responding. All of your instincts started to kick in, and you became very observant. What kept getting your attention was the. . .

Suddenly out of nowhere, a dark object swooped down from the ceiling with a screech, almost clipping Link's head. With one swift flick of the wrist, Link sliced it's throat. The Keese stayed on the floor of the cave, twitching. Its blazing red eyes died.

"Ugh," You wrinkled your nose at the sight of the furry beast. Link continued further into the caves, stepping through puddles of murky water. A strange sound slowly came from beneath you as your leg started to get cold and your toes tingled at the loss of blood. Glancing down at your leg, you almost yelped when you saw a blue glob with teeth sucking your calf. You quickly swept your dagger across its body, dismantling it from your leg.

"Uuggghhhaaa!" You tried shaking off the disgusted feeling haunting your mind, physically wriggling uncomfortably.

"Hehe... Having fun back there?" An amused smirk graced Link's face at your reaction.

"Yeah, very funny..." Your heart rate started to go down, but it quickly sped back up again when you heard a chorus of screeches come from above both of you. "Run!" Link yelled and grabbed your wrist right before a swarm of Keese dove upon you. Right now your heart was pounding as you scrambled around stalagmites and piles of rocks. The swarm of red-eyed Keese pursued you at close range, and globs of blue creatures appeared out of nowhere wanting to suffocate you. Very soon, a bright beam of warm light splashed your faces, and inside you wanted to scream with joy at the sight of the exit to the cave. You practically tripped over Link as he slowed to a halt outside of the caves, smiling as he watched the Keese scream in terror of the light, fleeing back into the cave.

"Now I know why they always keep this place off limits!" You tried to breath deeply. "Yeah, me. . ." Link suddenly changed his thought, "There he is!" Glancing behind you, you could see Link's loftwing struggle against its cage in the cleft of the rock. Link slid down the grassy slope and quickly started to slice the cage's ropes, "I'm sorry boy,"

As the last plank fell, Link's bird cooed and rubbed against his master. His feathers were such a bright crimson, the loftwing looked royal. Stretching his wings far over your head, he took a few giant flaps and took off into the sky, soaring high above the two of you. You suddenly remembered, "Link! The Ceremony! Instructor Owlan won't delay it forever!" Link remembered as well, "You're right, we'd better go!" With a giant leap and a whistle, he was soon riding his crimson loftwing once again with you by his side on your bird.

You could see from above Skyloft, that the contestants were gathering around the light tower preparing for today's race. You wanted to show off as you dove toward the small group, proving Groose wrong as Link leapt off his loftwing. Smiling in victory, you pranced up next to Groose who's mouth was wide open, "Stunned?" You teased.

Groose just snorted and turned to Link, "You think you're pretty suave don't ya?"

Link grinned and looked at you, and Instructor Owlan started, "Your attention please. At last we are ready to begin the Wing Ceremony. I'm glad you all could make it. Before we start, I'll explain the rules. I have attached a small statuette to this bird, who I will then release to the skies. On my signal, dash and dive off the ledge. Once you. . ." Groose leaned over to you, "Ready to loose? Friend?"

You rolled your eyes as Owlan explain the consequences of cheating, "I hope you are."

Suddenly the Headmaster yelled in your direction, "That goes double for you, Groose!"

Groose almost jumped out of his skin, and you tried not to laugh. Owlan set the bird into flight, "At my command, the competition will begin!"

All of you took a stance, ready to dash off the edge. "Go!" Owlan sounded.

You immediately pushed all your energy into your legs, sprinting off the edge of Skyloft and giving a sharp whistle. Within seconds your bird was beneath you and you were chasing after the statuette. Your heart raced with excitement as you raced against your classmates. Link was just ahead of you, making sharp dives with Groose on your heels. In seconds, Link was right behind the bird, ready to grab the statue.

"Hey! Don't you know this is my day to get all the glory?" Groose yelled in fury. He swooped in from the side and cut both you and Link off from the bird.

"Yeah, you heard him! Let's see how well you fly with egg on your face!" Shouted Cawlin.

A hot anger started to boil deep inside your stomach. Turning your head to the side to find the bird, your face was suddenly hit with an egg. With globs of yolk and shell molding into your hair, your face twisted both with anger and a bit of pain. Wiping the egg from your face, you decided to make sure Groose would loose. Taking a steep dive, you heard laughs from Groose's stooges, "Hey! The bird isn't down there!"

You ignored them as you kept diving closer and closer towards the clouds. The secret that you held about flying was the up-drifts that swirled down near the cloud barrier, and you were determined to use one. Right before you hit the barrier, your loftwing stretched out his wings and caught the draft, sending you soaring upward at a tremendous speed. You could see Groose above you, almost grabbing the statue. You braced yourself for the hit. The impact was so strong, Groose lost control of his flight, and had to grab the legs of his bird to avoid falling off. While you basked in your accomplishment, you forgot about the statue. Glancing back at the bird, you saw Link holding the statuette above his head in victory.

Almost immediately your adrenaline stopped, and mixed feelings entered your mind. You were happy for your friend, but at the same time felt defeated. It would be another few months before they tested students again. It was hard to accept that you weren't a senior classman.

Link

Yes!!! I get to become a knight! Finally after all that training! I guess I have to give some of the credit to ____. If it wasn't for her I don't think I would have won... She really deserves it more than I do, but... I'm not complaining... Zelda and I are flying around Skyloft to celebrate. Is it strange I'm imagining ____ in her place? I guess recently I've been feeling really funny around her... I can't describe it. Wait?! What's that ahead of us!? AGH! It's pulling us in!!! Zelda no!!! AHHH!! *slowly blacks out*

Pipit

I'm glad Link won the competition, but I wish ___ had won... She's a good flyer and a quick thinker.... Well there will always be another competition in a few months. I'll root for her then!

Groose

ARGH!! I was so close! I could taste victory! Then ____ had to be all noble and warrior-like and smash me out of position!! Now Link's a knight!! Ugh! Why can't I ever just prove to them who I can be!? *sigh* I'll have to admit, she can be really hot when she's in action... ugh, what am I thinking?

Demon Lord Ghirahim

*chuckles* Yes! Now that little goddess is mine! Didn't even know how to react to a black tornado. So helpless and naive... The surface is no place for one with such innocence. The prophecy will finally unfold, and my master will finally take his place on this earth.